Shooters Forum banner

Marlin 336 - .30 .30

9K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  moa 
#1 · (Edited)
:confused:So I recently purchased a Marlin 336 30-30 rifle and while cleaning NEAR the buttstock a small, circular black piece with a small hole in it fell out. Looks like a washer or something but with a smaller hole. I have no idea where it fell from and my gun is broken without it. I put all the other parts together and without the circular piece the rifle won't load more than one bullet, if fact it gets stuck. Can anyone help me and tell me where this part could go?

#2 ·
Samantha, here's the link to an exploded view of the 336 broken down to show all its parts. I think you may have done something else to cause your problem. I don't know how far down you stripped your gun to clean it but taking it further than necessary can be a problem if you're not familiar with putting them back together. The only small circular part with a small hole in it I can find on here is simply a part they put on the butt stock for asthetics. It has nothing to do with functioning of the gun. You take a look and see what you think. It would help a lot if you posted a picture of the part you're talking about if it's different than the part I'm talking about. You might also give a better description of your problem than saying "it gets stuck". I'm not sure what that means. Can you cycle the lever? Part way? How do you shoot it single shot, how are you loading it? Maybe this exploded view will help you in getting your gun going again.
Exploded views of leverguns

#10 · (Edited)
I've never seen a washer part like that in a 336, so maybe a homemade spacer between brass and bolt face? I guess we'll have to wait for the picture.

I agree that maybe the rifle was put back together improperly.

Samantha, welcome from New Mexico!

#11 ·
There just aren't that many "round" things in the gun. The magazine follower? We really need to know what is happening when you try to load the gun. Can you load more than one shell in the magazine? Does the lever cycle? Will the bolt close? Exactly what is happening when you say "it won't work" Go through the loading process step by step and tell us what the roadblock is that is keeping the gun from working. Loading, cycling the action, etc. Again, the pic will tell a thousand words. Keep us posted.

#13 ·
I was thinking Samantha is a very new shooter. Very new. I think the reference to the butt stock is actually in relation to the end of the barrel......the problem is near the back end of the gun? In other words, it's not the front sight, crown, barrel, etc. ......near the butt stock. We'll find out more when they get home and post a pic and explain what's going wrong and when.

#14 · (Edited)
:.......
I put all the other parts together and without the circular piece the rifle won't load more than one bullet, if fact it gets stuck. .......
I somehow missed that when I first read it. Now it sounds like a magazine follower or something (something others already suggested). But that's not near the buttstock nor is it a flat washer.

#23 ·
Your magazine follower (that contains the washer as nsb shows) might not be red in color

#25 · (Edited)
That's true. Midway sells a red one and it's a replacement part but the parts are still the same. FYI, there are a good number of Youtube videos on disassembling this particular gun if that will help you. They are very detailed. I'd suggest you take it apart and start over again after watching the video, or better yet while you're watching it. Also, it's very rarely required to take your gun completely apart to clean it. That's something that gets done once or twice a year unless it gets soaked. At least it's a good way to get to know the gun. Do it a few times and you'll learn a lot in the process. That's not always a bad thing. Be patient, it will go back together.

#29 · (Edited)
The magazine follower is the red "cup" shown in the picture (yours might black or bare metal). It will be found inside the magazine TUBE, which is the long tube running up under the barrel. The "follower" (and washer) is at the end of the spring (also inside the tube) which pushes it up against the receiver (near where you load your cartridges)

The purpose of the tube is to hold your cartridges ready to be loaded into the weapon. The purose of the spring is to provide tension against those cartridges. And the magazine follower and washer hold the spring inside the tube. (LOOK at parts# 45 through 49 in the schematic nsb linked) The magazine follower is part# 46.

#27 ·
Samantha, this item is double posted but for the moment I'll leave it for you as is, seeing you are new to the forum.
When Mike G comes on he may merge the two. Try not to double post in future. I hope "THE EXPERTS" on here can sort out your problem. It is outside of my sphere.
When you do get to shoot it , let us know how you get on and don't hesitate to ask in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.