Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I recieved my Marlin 336 LTD 35 Reminton today.  First off this is my 1st Lever gun and I am VERY impressed by it.  It handles and looks great with the straight stock and 18 1/2 inch barrel.  I could do without the porting on this caliber, but that's a small gripe.  I am hoping to get it out to the range this weekend with some Remington factory 200 gr loads to see how it will do.  I am going to put one of my 3x9 scopes on it for testing, but after that I don't know.  The scope and also my tasco red dot sight set high enough up that you need to raise your head up some to use them.  I'll probably go with some type of aperture sight after I find the handloads that it likes.  I wish someone made a rear sight like on the old Enfield N0.4MK1.  That way you have the large (ghost ring) aperture sight for close range and a flip up click adjustable aperture for longer range shooting/plinking.  Hay, here's a project for you engineers and machinests out there.  Design a low profile mount that you can install an Enfield sight in;)  Figure about &#3615 for a new sight and &#36?? for the mount and you have the best of both a tang and a ghost ring (Ashley)sight.  Think about it ;}.  Well, I have to go for now.  Hopefully this Florida weather will cooperate and let me get out this weekend.  James D.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
James,

I saw one of these Guide Gun-type .35's last year and immediately though it could be just about the perfect rig for whitetails, black bear, and hogs. A really slick setup.
Your rear sight idea has great merit. I too admire the No. 4 Enfield's sight. Very rugged and accurate for long range shooting, but it has that big honkin' "ghost ring" for close-in work. I may have to temporarily de-sight my No. 4 Mk. 2 to do some measurements....hmmm....

·
Banned
61 Posts
A Marlin 336SC (20", short magazine, pistol grip stock) was my first real deer rifle, many years ago. Shot a lot of 200 gr. Hornady's over IMR3031 and (since it was my ONLY rifle at the time) many hundreds of 'varmint' loads with IMR4227 and 158 gr. jacketed .357 pistol bullets. These undersized slugs were surprisingly accurate, and lethal on chucks stalked on pasture edges...but (I think this was the cause) washed out the barrel after about 800 rounds. All rounds would group fairly well, but half of them would hit sideways. Took me many years to trust another Microgroove barrel, but I was blaming Marlin for what was my fault, I guess.
The Ballard rifling in your gun should make it shoot well with all jacketed or lead loads, aside from the nuisance of cleaning the lead crud out of your barrel ports now and then. If I had this gun I'd try some pistol bullets in it but this time long heavy .358's.
That first rifle of mine is still making meat in the close brushy woods of Maine, keyholes and all. The guy that owns it now loves how hard it hits and what big holes it makes in a buck's ribs! BTW: That Marlin, and the two I own now, all have the same sight setup: Williams Foolproof Rear Peep and the now discontinued Redfield Sourdough post front with gold block inlay at 45 degrees. For the dark woods, you just unscrew the eyepiece and use the threaded hole as your 'ghost ring'. Works fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I finally made it out to the range this morning.  Initial results look good.  Factory loads, Remington 200 gr, were doing just under 1.5" at 100 yards.  I only fired one box, but I am impressed with both the rifle and ammunition.  I would have no qualms about using this factory load for hunting.  As a matter of fact I think I am going to concentrate my initial handloading on 140-180 gr slugs at 1500-1800 fps to progress my son from rimfires to centerfires.  A couple of things I learned at the range this morning.  First was that even with the ported barrel the muzzle blast wasn't as bad as I expected.  The only other ported gun I have owned was a 12" TC Contender in 7-30 Waters and that was LOUD, even with plugs and muffs.  The other thing was that I need to get different rings/bases for it.  I bought a 1 piece Weaver base and put on the only extra scope and rings I had, a Simons 3x9 with high Weaver rings.  In order to shoot with this combo I had to raise my cheek up about ½" to see through the scope.  I think I will try some of Weavers low rings and maybe even have the bottom of the base milled off some.  As far as the scope goes, I think I will try a fixed power, either 2.5X or 4X.  I last thing.  Even thought this is a Guide gun, it does have Micro Groove rifling.  Once I start handloading  I'll post my results.  James D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JFD,
You've got a great piece of gear there! Last November I bought a 1967 336RC in .35 Rem. I took it out to the range last weekend and with Federal Classic 200gr. loads it'll put 3 shot touching at 50 yards. This is better than I can shoot. You may want to look into Ashley's scout mounts, they may have one for your rifle. I have a Weaver K2.5 in Weaver low rings on thier low base, it works great! The only complaint I have is that with the rear sight all the way down to the bottom of the elevator it shot 6" above point of aim at 25 yards, today I had my local gunsmith install a higher front sight. I hope the .06 higher front sight works. Can anybody help me with this question?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts