Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the magazine tube of my 336 in order to install a swivel stud that wraps around the magazine tube. The instructions worked that came with the Uncle Mike's lever gun stud mounts, but now I cannot get the magazine tube to seat properly when I try to reinstall it. Anyone know of any tricks that will make this work, or do I need to find a gunsmith? I've tried reassembly both with, and without, the stud on the magazine tube, and it won't line up either way. The magazine tube is about 1/8 of an inch forward of where it should be.

Any help would be greatly apprecitated, and Happy New Year.

PS, is the bullseye in the stock something that I can just pop out to install the rear stud, or do I need to drill the complete hole for the rear stud?

·
Registered
45 Posts
sounds like the follower is getting in the way. start by taking the end cap off and removing the spring and follower. try to put the tube back in and if it works put the follower, spring, and then the end cap back on. hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the follower and follower spring out. I can't imagine what I'm getting hung up on, unless it's just because it's and older gun (circa 1960).

If all else fails, can I just file the magazine tube down, or would this cause a problem with cycling rounds?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I checked that too. It seems like there might be a little to much space between the barrel and the mag tube by the barrel band on the fore end. I have no idea on how to apply pressure to the area to keep the mag tube parallel with the barrel, at least not with damaging either the for end or barrel.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,103 Posts
Are you sure the mag tube is seating in the recess in the receiver? Put it in there without the forend on the rifle, or the spring in the tube. Mark how far out it goes with a piece of tape on the barrel, etc.

Then try reassembling with all the pieces.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
As Mike posted above, it sounds like the mag tube isn't seating in the receiver recess fully, or at all.

It's fairly easy to let the hidden rear end get off-center, so you might want to try seating it with the forearm loose or partially off - then sliding everything back together.

The bullsye is Marlin's trademark/logo, and although they occasionally pop out of their own volition, one replaced with a sling swivel is regarded in most quarters as a "bubba" trademark.
The proper swivel eye location is usually about halfway between the bullseye and the rear edge of the buttstock wood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for preventing me from going "bubba" on my 336. I'll attempt to take the forend off and see if I can get the mag tube to seat at all. Thanks for all the help everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts