Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i've been here for a few yrs, but lost my username and id, so i have to start over. oh well, anyway, i'm hunting out of a chair/blind set up. it has very little room inside, but is very portable. i'm looking at a smaller rifle that i can maneuver around inside the blind. i'm thinking either of these rifles. my shots under 150yds, no more that 200. the local pawn shop has a like new handi rifle in 30-06 for $175, it has the scope base, and has no scratches. for around $150 to $200 i can get a used marlin 30-30win. what would you choose? thanks!

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
Either would work just fine in cramped spaces and deliver good accuracy for the range you mentioned. The handi rifle would give you more range and power, plus you would have the option of getting more barrels for it, if you wanted a .243 or a 45/70, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Of those two, I would get the Marlin. BUT, I am partial to lever action rifles :cool:
Dan

·
Banned
425 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Both sound like decent deals, and either willwork fine. You might consider that the 336 will be easier on the shoulder and will, of course, give you quick multiple shots, neither factor important if you are a one-shot hunter (as all should be) and can handle recoil.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I like the simplicity of single shot rifles. The Handi Rifle sounds real nice especially in .30-06. Plus "What mogwai said."

·
Banned
199 Posts
Either rifle sounds like a good one for hunting from a blind. I'd go with whichever one feels better for you. Most handi rifles I've seen have been quite accurate. For the ranges you shoot a .30/30 will do the job.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Properly placed '06 beats a magazine full of 30-30. Every time.

43 years of hunting experience tells me that anything up to deer size won't know the difference between a well-placed bullet from a .30-06 and a well-placed bullet from a .30-30 at ranges out to 150 yards or so. Either will slay them like the Hammer of Thor.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
try the 30 30 w leverolution ..that will get you on out past 250yrds,after you learn the gun and rnd..i would be my choice..slim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a win mod 94 in 30-30 already, but i don't like a side mounted scope. i did some research last night, and i can't believe all the calibers the handi rifle is made in. i see that a new one is only $50 to $75 more than the used one in the pawn shop, so i may go new. my next question is, what is the build quality of the handi rifle compared to the marlin? the point about room inside to break the gun open is something i'm going to have to check out. i have a spartan o/u 12ga that i can test out inside the blind. i think it's awesome when people point out a simple thing like room in the blind in a way that i totally overlooked. this gives me stuff to look up while the snow is piling up around me in northern wisconsin!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Another consideration may be a used Mossberg SSI-1 single shot. They are fit and finished much nicer than the H&R / NEF guns and from what I have seen, not too much higher in price (used).
Andy

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have both and I would go with Marlin. So far I have not been too impressed with my H&R (22 Hornet) that I have. The Marlins I have owned have always performed well, and in my opinion they are better than the 94s.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
I have a win mod 94 in 30-30 already, but i don't like a side mounted scope. i did some research last night, and i can't believe all the calibers the handi rifle is made in. i see that a new one is only $50 to $75 more than the used one in the pawn shop, so i may go new. my next question is, what is the build quality of the handi rifle compared to the marlin? the point about room inside to break the gun open is something i'm going to have to check out. i have a spartan o/u 12ga that i can test out inside the blind. i think it's awesome when people point out a simple thing like room in the blind in a way that i totally overlooked. this gives me stuff to look up while the snow is piling up around me in northern wisconsin!
This will sound "cheezy" but the H&R/30-'06 is more bang for the buck! (Yep, that's right...I said it!:D )

When it comes to opening the action to feed in another round, you get into the principle argument for/against a single-shot weapon. If you are concerned about being able to send a 2nd shot downrange quickly, the handi rifle isn't for you. If you are of the opinion that one, well-placed shot, is not only the desired scenario, but something you feel obligated to ensure, then how quickly you can get another round into the chamber won't favor either gun. Also, since the barrel will be outside the blind when you shoot, breaking it open to reload won't be much of a problem. The safety mechanism on the H&R (handi rifle) makes it quite safe to carry with a round in the chamber, so I would imagine you would enter the blind with the gun already loaded and not cock the hammer until you're presented with a shot.

As for the 30/30 versus 30-'06 I will say this: If you never take a shot past 150 yards at any non-dangerous North American big game animal, excluding perhaps a moose, then you won't suffer a lack of power, with either. However, if you all-of-a-sudden get invited to hunt cow elk on a buddy's ranch out in Wyoming and he says you should come prepared to make a shot at 300 yards...the -'06 is still a viable option but the 30/30 wouldn't be.

·
Registered
13,209 Posts
I have both and I would go with Marlin. So far I have not been too impressed with my H&R (22 Hornet) that I have. The Marlins I have owned have always performed well, and in my opinion they are better than the 94s.
I'm curious what problems you have seen with the H&R/22 Hornet. I know that round is notorious for being picky about what it will shoot well, but I have four different barrels for my H&Rs and they all shoot 1-2" groups, at 100 yards. Actually, the .243 barrel has shot several groups that were right around .800". Have you tried hand loading 40gr pills in the Hornet? Depending on what twist it uses that cartridge/barrel won't stabilize heavier bullets.

An excellent option is to have the chamber on the Hornet cut to something a little bigger, with a better case design. As a last resort, sell me your barrel and I'll have it rechambered to 225 Winchester...my favorite all-time 22!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm curious what problems you have seen with the H&R/22 Hornet. I know that round is notorious for being picky about what it will shoot well, but I have four different barrels for my H&Rs and they all shoot 1-2" groups, at 100 yards. Actually, the .243 barrel has shot several groups that were right around .800". Have you tried hand loading 40gr pills in the Hornet? Depending on what twist it uses that cartridge/barrel won't stabilize heavier bullets.

An excellent option is to have the chamber on the Hornet cut to something a little bigger, with a better case design. As a last resort, sell me your barrel and I'll have it rechambered to 225 Winchester...my favorite all-time 22!
Jim,

I know that the Hornet can be a problem, but this rifle has been a headache since I picked it up. I bought the rifle for next to nothing because my cousin could not get it to group. He did not handload, so I thought that was the problem.
To make a long story short, I have tried different handloads, factory, and changed the scope twice to no avail:mad:
I have not been able to get smaller than a 3" group at 100 yards. I might have a bum barrel, but it does make a good truck gun. As for chambering it out to .225, the barrel is only 20" in length so I do not think it would be a good choice for that.
I guess everyone needs one rifle that keeps them guessing:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts