Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 336 in 32 spc. cal. I have had this rifle for 60 years and now my grandson is using it. I am not comfortable with him using it without a safety. He is only 12 years old. my question is, is it possible to have a safety put on this rifle by a gunsmith or the company.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Raymond, it has a safety -- the halfcock notch. That, or carrying chamber-empty and jacking in a round just before shooting.

I understand your concern. But if the lad, in your opinion, isn't ready for the gun, then another gun might be the wisest course. I do not know of any way to add an aditional safety to a 336, but I would bet that if there is it willl cost a pretty penny. I'd bet you could get a decent, maybe new, H&R or Rossi single shot that would likely be as safe a rifle as a youngster could tote for less than a safety conversion.

If it's financially feasible to equip the boy now and hold on to the 336, too, that's what I'd do. I have several of both of my granfathers' guns now. Both of them are gone for nearly forty years, but every time I see those guns in the rack those men are here in the room with me. It is a great feeling.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Raymond, it has a safety -- the halfcock notch. That, or carrying chamber-empty and jacking in a round just before shooting.

I understand your concern. But if the lad, in your opinion, isn't ready for the gun, then another gun might be the wisest course..
Agree 105%...

I used a M94 Win, in .32 Spcl no less, at the very same age, to shoot foxes, ***** in the chicken house, groundhogs. The halfcock on that rifle, and my current 336, is one of the surest safeties ever designed. Anything extra, a crossbolt, a vented screwcap over the muzzle, or how about a knowledgable gunbearer, will not compensate for an inept or inattentive child. If he's in that class, take him fishing, and get a real good flotation vest.

The only safe gun is one that's pointed in a safe direction, every minute it's carried. Every second. If that isn't in the learners range of attention, safeties are useless.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If the rifle was safe enough for you to use for 50 years, why wouldn't it be safe for someone else to use? After all, You had to be trained to use it properly and safely at some point, so the next generation can be taught to use it safely as well!

Work with the boy long enough so that he IS safe with the gun as is.

It is probably past deer hunting season now anyhow. So what is the hurry?

Buy a snap cap and let him work the hammer over and over again so that he can bring to full cock and back down to half cock consistently. Let him cycle the lever and put the hammer back to half cock repeatedly. The snap cap is there in the event while learning that he drops the hammer. The snap cap will protect the firing pin.

If you do not have a snap cap you can make one. Simply remove the primer from a spent shell case. Then fill up the primer chamber with silicone caulk or even a #2 pencil erasure. This padding filler will give the firing pin a soft place to expend the energy rather than a dry fire situation which can be hard on the firing pin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How do I remove the saftey

Is there any more people that make the removal kit for the safety on the 336 other than that clyed guy because I tried calling his number an it was shut off. If you hav any answers please e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
296 Posts
While not quite as clean as the replacment removal of the safety. The cheaper way that I do it is simply to use a black rubber "O"-Ring. Simply put the safety into the fire position and snap the rubber o-ring over the safety button. It hides the orange warning band on the safety and it takes a really hefty push to push the button back onto fire.

It takes zero gun modification and you can pretty easily remove the o-ring to put the safety on and unload without fear of accidental discharge.

Another way to "disable" I've read is to remove the butt stock. You can then put the safety onto fire position. There is a little set screw I think it may be on the right side as looking down the gun to fire it. This set screw is set into some sort of gunk but legend has it that you can take an Allen wrench and maybe with heat tighten the set screw down tight. This set screw locks the safety bar so that it can't move.

Both of these methods are easily undone and are cheap to non existent cost.

The O-ring method if the people are not marlin guru's never know there is a safety there as a couple feet away and you can not see the o-ring etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rebuilt this gun and was looking at doing away with the safety for good I parked the receiver and barrel and put black stock and xs sight on it and I just wanted a nice slick look on it without the safety

·
Registered
602 Posts
OMG! Don't put a safety on it! I grew up using my dad's 336. Few years ago my wife bought me one with the new safety. I still hunted to within 50 yards of a nice 5x5 whitetail on the next opening day only to "dry fire" on him twice before he got spooked and ran off. Which was just before I realized the **** safety was on. I'm STILL kicking myself!!!!! And it's no safer.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,705 Posts
I don't want a safety on it thats y I want the kit to remove it but mr Ludwigs phone number is shut off
Yes, we gather that. Please have some patience and stop posting the same question in multiple places on the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts