Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is George and I need help to identify a gun that I own. A Marlin 336 was given to me as a gift many years ago by my son-in-law. The gun is stamped on the barrel Model 36, the barrel is 20" and the forearm has a steel cap instead of a barrel band. the magazine extends roughly 1-1/2" beyond the forearm. Now the question is about the seriel number it begins with a Z designating a 1963 manufacture date??? was this gun rebarreled or did Marlin make guns using old model 36 barrels? And if so do they have any collector value? The specs of the gun match a 336SC but the barrel is stamped Model 36. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Is the name Glenfield anywhere on it? Or for that matter, any other name than Marlin. What you have sounds very much like a Glenfield Model 36. It is a Marlin-made 336 sold under their "economy" line. They usually have birch stocks, but I have seen one with what looked like a factory-installed walnut stock and forend. All of the various Glenfield, Sears Roebuck, Western Auto, Montgomery Ward, and other brands are pure Marlin, and can represent real bargains in the marketplace simply because of the markings. A collection of just the Glenfield versions alone would be fun, and affordable, and a lifelong pursuit if you broadened it to include all of the "off-brand" Marlins.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Marlin barrels are pretty well interchangeable in that era. It could have been replaced... you never know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input (Pisgah and MikeG). It looks like you were right!!!. I see on the barrel that it is Glenfield Products inc. So I have a Glenfield Model 36. Can I assume that the Z prefix serial number still means that I was made in 1963-64.??? or I there a seperate serial number series for the Glenfield rifles.???

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Thank you for your input (Pisgah and MikeG). It looks like you were right!!!. I see on the barrel that it is Glenfield Products inc. So I have a Glenfield Model 36. Can I assume that the Z prefix serial number still means that I was made in 1963-64.??? or I there a seperate serial number series for the Glenfield rifles.???

All Marlin-made 336s, be they Marlin or Glenfield-branded, share the same serial number sequences. Probably most of the other store brands, too, although Sears had a reputation for oddball numbering not necessarily matching the makers' numbers. For instance, I have a Ted Williams Model 53 .30-06 bolt action, which is actually a post-1964 Winchester Model 70; I can tell by the features of this particular rifle that it was made 1966-67, but the serial number does not match up in any way with the Winchester serial numbers.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
From the Marlin Owner's site The "Y" prefix shows 1964 manufacture. 1963 builds would have a "W". As far as I know the Glenfield guns were all serial numbered in sequence when made by Marlin. So yes, the code should be correct.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Ever get a chance to look at a say 47 model 36 look at the scroll markings on the bbl under the bbl band.

Few folks get the newer Marlins with a hand stamped letter in the serial number whether it's lined up or not if it has a letter in it, it means two were numbered the same and it was caught so on goes the letter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts