Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tio and Aleskya, thanks for your help on the last thread. Now I have some new questions. As far as tuning a lever gun, what steps are usually taken. I have noticed some binding of the front barrel band and the forearm slips toward the muzzle a little. Does this affect accuracy a lot? This gun was made in 1981 but not shot. The bolt face has no markings on it. I realize to smooth it up it will take a few hundred rounds, but I'm curious about how to shoot smaller groups. My last groups were probably in the 4" range at 50 yards. Nothing to write home about! I have also read gunwriters say that lever guns without barrel bands ( magazine attached by dovetail) are generally more accurate. I find this true for my 336 and 1895ss, they both have 1/2 magazines and shoot great! 1 1/2 or less at 100 yards. And it is repeatable accuracy, not just once in a while. Your thoughts please.

Augustus

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Augustus,
I'm definitely no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but...

The first thing I would try is to correct that barrel band problem. There's a thread about this very thing around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. If that doesn't help, next would be try several recipes of handloads to see if that helps. If you are still having problems, Marshall has some great articles here about slugging and measuring the bore and lapping any tight spots. After that, I would take his recommendation of trying his cast bullets of the appropriate diameter. Take your time and don't try to do everything at once. There are several members here that know much more about this than I, and I'm hoping they will respond. Go to the bottom of the Levergun Forum Page and where it shows the pull down box of the last 100 days or so, select "From the beginning" and browse through some of the older posts. There is a lot of great in-depth information there.

I'm sorry I'm not much help here, but haven't experienced the type of problems you are describing. Been lucky I guess. Looking through some of the older posts will give you a good idea on what others with similar problems have done and what their opinion of the fix was.

Good luck and let us know how everything goes (what helps and what doesn't).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Marlin .357

I improved the accuracy of mine by making sure that the forestock and barrel band don't bind against the barrel. To do that I had to remove some wood to free them up.
Also, it is not accurate with maximum loads.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marlin 357 Accurizing

LeoCal,
I took the forearm off and relieved the pressure by sanding the barrel channel. It shifted the point of aim about 6 inches lower after doing it. It shot better groups also, but still not what I am hoping for. I would like to try some 180 gr Remingtons and see what they will do. I also shot some 38 special reloads and could consistently hit a 8" gong offhand at 75 yards till the leading started. I guess it will just take some time tinkering with loads and stuff to make it really shoot. I keep hearing about ragged holes at 50 yds....that's where I would like to be!

Regards, Augustus

·
Registered
59 Posts
Augustus,

I'd like ragged holes too, but my best so far is 1 3/4" @ 50 yards. That's OK for this gun: it's fun and cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marlin 357 Accurizing

LeoCal,
Your right about fun and cheap! My two daughters like shooting the Marlin 30-30 with cast bullets, this one would kick even less and be cheaper still. I like cheap!! Well, let me rephrase that, I like being able to persue my hobby with the least expenditure of finances. Cheap...I tend to think of low quality. Like you said though, it's a lot of fun and great offhand practice. I had one of these rifles a few years ago and ended up selling it to finance another purchase....what a mistake! I've kicked myself many times till I found another one....actually in better condition and a few years older than the one I sold.

Regards, Augustus
GO SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

·
Registered
71 Posts
Make a chamber cast of your .357 Marlin carbine and see what it has for a throat. The normal SAAMI dimensioned chamber has no "ball seat" as such, but only a 15 degree included angle taken from the mouth of the chamber, which is about .380" in diameter.

When I was at the NRA I tested rethroating Marlin lever-actions in .357 and .44 Magnum using a 3 degree included angle throater to clean up the existing throat and provide a more gradual leade angle which resembles that in a military 8mm Mauser. This significantly enhanced accuracy in both Marlin lever guns and in the Contender pistol, reducing average group size to about 1-1/2" at 50 yards with typical factory handgun loads. I do better than that with carefully optimized handloads.

The article was written about 1984 if you want to do a library search. JGS and Clymer both make the reamers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts