Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy I'm new to your website so plz bear w/me I have a marlin model 36 my grandfather gave me when I was about 10yrs old it has proven to be a very accurate rifle but suffers from no bang syndrom it will fire a round or 2 then not fire a round or 2 this happens w/reloads & factory fodder [only reason I tried store bought stuff was to confirm prob wasn't my reloads. hammer feels plenty strong & fireing pin appears to protrude plenty but non firing rounds have only slight dimple in primer could this b a headspace prob or is somthing else wrong even if this rifle was a rusted lump I'd fight to keep it also interested in casting bullets for it,suggestions on moulds would b welcome

·
Registered
865 Posts
Chances are it has never been completely taken down for a detailed clean and lube. There are places that don't get lubed by a few drops from outside or a shot of spray. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself take it to a competent 'smith for the job. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Here endeth the epistle. Goatwhiskers the Elder

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Tdog,

Welcome to ShootersForum! Rules are simple, be nice and join in. :)

It could be that your gun is just dirty, but I have to ask: Is it hard to extract rounds, when they do fire properly? Does the action cycle rounds easily and smoothly? If those are no problem, then it sounds like you've got a headspace issue to me and I'd get it to a 'smith before firing any more rounds through it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
Does the 36 have the two-piece firing pin that the modern 336 has? I vote for a good cleaning, also.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Does the 36 have the two-piece firing pin that the modern 336 has? I vote for a good cleaning, also.
Yes Mike, the 36 has the two piece firing pin. I pretty sure that all the Marlin leverguns have them. That was the "Marlin Safety" claim.

Would the original poster mind if this was moved to the Marlin portion of this forum? Also would like follow-up to hear if the cleaning cures the problem.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
36 not 336

yes 2 pc firing pin the firing pin seems to move freely but will try cleaning hammer falls plenty hard.yes i'd keep it my grandfather raised me and taught me everything i believe in i also have older 870 wingmaster w/all 3 bbls it is in nearly perfect cond the 30-30 is approx 40% blue but no rust and cycles like butter thanks for advice

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
There is a pin holding each firing pin in place. You can punch the pins out. Pay attention to the orientation of the metal spring on the rear firing pin. This pin disconnects the firing pin anytime the lever is not being held in the firing position. I've seen the channel which the firing pins pass be very dirty as this is an area that just not cleaned over the life of the firearm. I soak the bolt and pins in parts cleaner and then use pipe cleaners to clean the firing pin channel through the length of the bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts