Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering the purchase of a Marlin Cowboy in .38-55. If anyone has any experience with this caliber I would like to hear from you. I would use it mostly for target shooting and hunting occasionally. This old cartridge interests me but there does not seem to be too much written about it.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Arizonan:
   There's .38-55 threads in the Leverguns Forum on pages 1, 3 & 9. Also check out Marlin talk at:
<a href="http://209.235.227.198/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

Bye" target="_blank">http://209.235.227.198/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

Bye</a>
Jack

·
Registered
36 Posts
I hear it is supposed to be an acurate cartridge. Be glad when I find the magic formula for mine. It has replaced my ruger #1 .257 as the most aggravating rifle I own.
Tear your hair out & have fun. If you can make it work, please let me know.
Marlin advertises a .378 bore, but mine is .379. not many .379 bullets around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
MY MARLIN 336 C/B 38/55 HAS BEEN ONE OF THE OUSTANDING LEVERGUNS I'VE EVER OWNED IN A LIFETIME OF SHOOTING THEM. THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT THE RIFLE THAT HAS IRRITATED ME, NOTHING!!
IT IS AS SMOOTH AS BABY'S BUTT, HAS AN EXCELLENT TRIGGER PULL, IS ACCURATE AS ALL GITOUT, AND HANDLES LIKE A DREAM. MY BEST GROUP TO DATE IS .55" AT 100 YARDS WITH CAST PERFORMANCE 265GR .379" BULLETS PUSHED BY XMP5744 POWDER, BUT HOPE DOES INDEED SPRING ETERNAL.
THIS RIFLE ALSO SHOOTS THE W-W FACTORY LOAD QUITE WELL, THOUGH IT IS ABOUT HALF A STEP ABOVE WORTHLESS IN THE POWER DEPARTMENT.
THIS RIFLE IS TOTALLY FACTORY STOCK OTHER THAN MY MOUNTING OF A WILLIAMS APERTURE SIGHT ON IT. IT'S FIRST SHOT AFTER MY PUTTING ON THE SIGHTS WENT DEAD CENTER WITHOUT SO MUCH AS ONE CLICK ON THOSE RECEIVER SIGHTS.
I'D RATHER BE LUCKY THAN GOOD.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My experience with Marlin 336CB, 38-55 is along same lines as most people on the Marlin talk board. If yours does what you say, you should invest heavily in the lottery as you surely are a lucky one. After nearly 100 rounds of 240 gr. Lazer cast, 2.75 in. at 100 yds is the best I can get, & that only if I stop at 3 rounds. If I try  five the group becomes a pattern, similar to my 590 Mossberg with "00". I am trying to find some .380 dia. 255 gr. or heavier bullets to try. Most folks who advertise them are up to their necks in alligators appearently & delivery is a little slow. Hopefully the longer, heavier bullets will work out. I have checked out M.L. McPherson's recommendations for accurizing Marlin Lever guns & it seems my limited wood working \ hobby gunsmith skills are to be tested to the max.
Since I have a Savage 99 \ 300 Savage & a Winchester M71 \ .348 that shoot minute & a half or better out to their respective useful distance I know this Marlin SHOULD be able to do the same. As I said, tearing the little hair I have is becoming a standard activity on the range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts