Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be gentle with me, as I am a 66 year old Rookie at this. My Marlin 39A has a serial number of 535. Any ideas?
Thanks, Sundance

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,745 Posts
Welcome. 3 digits????? Wow..... that would certainly suggest first year production. You're getting the number off of the tang, right? No chance it was longer and partly lost (drilled through, etc.)?

This site doesn't come up with any hits -

http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

·
Banned
421 Posts
Look for a letter prefix that may be well ahead of the numbers too.
Welcome to the forum! How about some pictures of that 39A? That's one of my favorite guns!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Morning, Thanks for your reply. My wife and I both looked, hard, at the serial number. It is under the lever. We cannot find a letter anywhere. I don't have a photo of the gun at this time. I can take one. It looks like any 39A. It is not a Golden. It has been re-blued and looks very good.
Thanks again, Sundance

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
[My Marlin 39A has a serial number of 535. Any ideas?]

Every year's production had three-digit serial numbered guns, since Marlin started each year's numbering anew, usually with a consecutive letter prefix, then with a 2-digit date code.

If it has only a three digit SN, with no letter prefix, your rifle is most likely either a very early (ca.1940) M39a, or a waaay earlier Model 39 ( There IS a difference).

Some more details, even a few pics, would help immensely.

The refinishing wiped out the original receiver finish, which changed from color case-hardening to bluing - so the stamped markings on both barrel and receiver tangs would help.

BTW - If the stock is original to the receiver, the same SN will be stamped into the buttstock wood, in the area of the receiver tang inletting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rangr 44, I can't thank you enough for your assistance. I looked on the end of the stock, where it attaches to the tang, and there is the same serial number, 535, but directly across from it, is the letter "M". I should be able to trace it now. Thanks again, Sundance

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
If your rifle is truely an "M" prefix SN'd rifle, the "M" prefix would indicate a 1955 manufacture.

If the barrel's marked/stamped "Microgroove", That would confirm it, since although Marlin switched over to MG rifling in 1954, every 1955 rifle should be a MG. (The reason I asked for barrel markings, above)

·
Banned
421 Posts
I have a 39A with a 4 digit serial number and no letter also. Mine does not show up on the stock either. So it happens! Glad you were able to determine the age of yours. It will be important if you ever need to order parts.
It would still be nice to see some pictures!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 39A with a ser # of 857 on the tang. and 7857 under the lever, it has a White Dot withna black center on the underside of the stock, any idea of the age???

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I have a 39A with a ser # of 857 on the tang. and 7857 under the lever, it has a White Dot withna black center on the underside of the stock, any idea of the age???

Marlin stamped the Model 39a SN's into the lower tang, under the lever - so IDK what the number on the top tang denotes.

All Marlins should have that factory-installed bulleye in the bottom line of the buttstock, placed there so owners could differentiate a Marlin from other similar rifle racked with it.

It should NOT be used for a sling swivel stud.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
My marlin 39 is M3817 Does that make it a 1955 rifle?
Don

AFAIK, Marlin Model 39's never had a SN prefix; only Model 39a's (so stamped on the barrel) did.

As posted above/earlier, "M" indicates a 1955 DOM.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I believe my Mountie Golden 39A has a prefx of "AB". It's a carbine length barrel. It was a gift from a now deceased friend. The best 22 shooter I've ever had - bar none.

Bayou

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I believe my Mountie Golden 39A has a prefx of "AB". It's a carbine length barrel. It was a gift from a now deceased friend. The best 22 shooter I've ever had - bar none.

Bayou

The AB prefix denotes a 1966 DOM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
X before the serial #

I believe it is a 1962 model from what all the previous post say but does the x mean anything before the serial number. (New to the forum)

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I believe it is a 1962 model from what all the previous post say but does the x mean anything before the serial number. (New to the forum)

Welcome to the forum !

Marlin switched from a "U" SN prefix to a "V" SN prefix in Aug 1961 ,most likely because more "U" prefixed guns were made by August 1961 than could be accommodated.
(each letter prefix went from SN1 to SN99999)

The "V" SN prefix was then used from Aug 1961 until after Dec 1962, when Marlin switched to a "W" SN prefix for 1963.

IOW, your rifle was the 15,601st rifle made after Aug 1961 - IDK exactly when.

More than likely, Marlin's SN stamper made a stamping error, duplicating your rifle's SN on at least 2 guns - and so stamped the "X" on one of the dupes to differentiate them from each other.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts