Shooters Forum banner

Marlin 44 Mag for deer

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  logcutter 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,  I recently found this site and was impressed with the quality of info. here. I'm thinking of adding a 44 mag to my lever-action collection, and I'm a Marlin fan since my first 336 in 1976. I was considering the 20 in. barrel Model 94, but I really like the looks of the cowboy model also. My question I guess is this. Would I realize any added benefit from the 24 in. barrel? With the right powders can I gain any velocity, or would I actually lose because of extra friction with the extra length? The gun would be used for woods hunting, 30-80 yard shots. I'm leaning toward the 20 in. barrel for reasons of weight and faster to point. The little 94p is just too short for me I think, though I haven't handled one. For off hand shots it seems like it would wave all over without any weight up front. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, hemlock

#2 ·
As little powder as the .44 Mag burns (for a rifle), seems to me that there would not be a lot of velocity difference between 20" and 24" barrels.

I'd just go with the one that 'felt' the best.  Personally I'd probably go with the 20" as well, as it would be handy and I don't think I would care for the ports on the 16" models.

Just theory....

#3 ·
hemlock,

I would say that the 16, 18 or 20 inch barrel should be fine with a 24 being a hindrance with regard to this caliber/cartridge.

The 44 mag and it's powder capacity performance wise is quite suitable to the shorter barrel carbines and packs plenty of punch.

Sometimes the really short barrels like the 16" can hinder some people sighting and tend to feel out of balance.

I say this as someone who actually is quite fond of the shorter barrel carbines.

The 20 incher may be more suitable for you.

Try'em for fit at the gun store.

Regards, Ray

#4 ·
Hemlock,                                                                                I have a Marlin 1894s in the 44mag with the 20" barrel good balance. The first thing I did was,I change the sights to a Ashley Ghost Sight. You be suprise how it works in low light conditions. They're a pleasure to carry in the woods. I agree with the others about the longer and shorter barrel length. God Bless

#5 ·
I had to jump in because a lever action is a dream of mine and the barrel length discussion is relative to my question. I believe since I reload I will go with a 45/70 and I was wondering if the same barrel length logic applies as above? Also will I be able to load this cartridge down enough to shoot a lot at the range? I think I still want a lot of noise at the range so heads will turn.

I used to want a 44 mag lever bad but the 45/70 gets more appealing everytime I get mad at deer. When I do outsmart one or get lucky I want to kill it dead. As you can tell I am that way now. After this cup of coffee I am going to see what this 06 will do to em. Later.

#6 ·
Hope you get a big'un, Chief.

As far as 'downloading' the .45-70 goes, well, there is quite a bit of load data in the 20,000-28,000 CUP range for the older Trapdoors, etc.  So, it would seem that you would have a pretty good place to start.  Whether those loads are light enough for you is of course up to you.

I'd also get a copy of the Lyman cast bullet handbook.

If you have the '06 then I suspect that the 'lighter' .45-70 loads will be quite manageable.

#7 ·
if you reload, try the Hornady 300gr XTP.  it is a hollowpoint, but the hollwing is very shallow.  some expansion is experienced, but enough of the lead base stays intact to get deep penetration.  they are awesome in my 7 1/2 in SRH.  good luck, and happy hunting.  :cool:

#9 ·
Stranger,

That sounds like an option to me. The thing I was considering that had taken me away from the 44 was range. Loaded the way you say 150 does not seem out of the question if all conditions are right. do you agree and have you had experience at extended ranges. The Ghost ring was actually on my list of options.

#10 ·
The load certainly carries enough muscle and is plenty accurate out to 150. I would want to shoot prone or have a steady rest to assure accurate placement. But that's just me, and with ANY rifle. If longer shots will be more the norm I would send my rifle to a competent gunsmith to hone the trigger just a bit.

#11 ·
Keep this in mind about a 44Rem Mag vs 45-70

you can buy almost 1500 Cases for the 44 vs 500 for
the 45-70 at the same cost.
23grains of powder (H110 Almost Max) for the 44 per shot.
40-56grains for the 45-70per shot.
Cost of bullets are close at Midway you can buy 1000
405gr .458 @85.00 and 1000 240gr sp.430 @87.00

With Wide metplate Hard Cast bullets the 44Rm even gets a little better then with Jacketed in the bullet performance dept for large game.

The 44RM will kick if your running full blown loads but not near as much as the 45-70.  (For the people that say a 45-70 don't kick much has not shot my Cowboy)

Anouther fine Caliber is a 375Win or a 38-55 and one of my pet rounds the 444Marlin. The 444 is a real sleeper
until you unlock it through  Handloading......Marko

#12 ·
I wish I had a .44 lever again.  I would definately go with the Marlin 1894P, or the Winchester Trapper both with 16" barrels.  These handle very well for me and if you're use to pistol shooting, you won't notice that they're shorter than other rifles.

I had a Ruger 96/44 which I traded :-(, but I used a 240 gr Hornady XTP or equivalent cast bullet over 25gr of H110 which did a little over 1900 fps out of the 18" barrel.  This load was the max in an older Hornady manual, they've since put the max at 24gr H110.  That XTP did a fine job on two deer and held together, even at that velocity.  It was a fine deer git'in combo and the paper ballistics put 150, even 200 yds in range if you practiced.

#15 ·
Hi Jack, 44 mag, and 44 rem mag same oh same oh, and any gun that shoots 44 mag will also shoot 44 special with maybe the exception being the Desert Eagle. if you shoot alot of 44 special just make sure to clean the chambers good or you may get sticky extraction. I've been hunting boars with my model 94 Marlin 44 mag for almost 30 years now, a great gun. I mounted a Williams 5D receiver peep sight several years ago, and I highly recommend it, best bang for the buck in a peep sight.

#16 ·
I owned a 94 for many years and killed a number of coastal blacktails with Hornaday's 200 grain hollow tip. Its available in their XTP line of factory ammo.
This bullet flattenes out to about 70 caliber and makes a big hole through the chest. Never and exit wound but I've never had to look very far for dead deer. They don't get away but a few jumps. Longest shot I ever took with this carbine was about 100 yards.

I sold the Marlin and bought a Ruger 96. Two reasons: 1) it shoots 44 special ammo very accurately out to about 50 yards. 2) Ruger shoots the heavier weights better. Federal 250 gr. delivers 3 inch groups at 100 yards. Pretty impressive for a pistol cartridge!
TR

#19 ·
The 44 Mag is a good choice for Deer and Black Bear at the ranges to mentioned.The ole 44 Mag also has a very good choice of bullet's,jacketed and hardcast.As for barrel length and the yardage you mentioned,which critter would notice.I personally would go with the 20 in.I have a Guide Gun and agree with the hadiness of a short carbine.I also have some 24 in and 22 in rifles and find the 18.5 just to handy and quick to the draw,so to speak.
Get you some good bullets and you have a great Deer and Black Bear carbine,but you have to send us some jerky for all this uneducated advice. :D

Best of luck.Jayco.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.