Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oldpete just bought his first 44 mag lever action rifle and needs help with suggested loads for it.

a) 300gr. Hornady xtp for deer

b) 250 hard cast for target

thanks

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
What did you get Pete? I am working on loads myself. The bullet choice sounds good, you must cast. Ill bet that 300 gr XTP will do the job over some H-110. I tried IMR4227 with 220 gr Sierras and it left unburned powder. Had to give up on it. I am going to stick with Universal since I have it for lighter loads and lead if I ever do shoot lead. I think the H-110 will be the next powder I will try for the jacketed.

I know you will get some ideas from the guys. I would be through with this load development if I wasn't so cheap.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Pete,

Sounds like a winner.  For the 300 gr. XTP I'd just crack open the Hornady manual and load'er up with their recommendation of H110/WW296.

For practice loads I've had good results with WW231, AA#2, and Titegroup.  All have done about the same for me, so no real preference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What i have right now is a 255gr. hard cast from White Horse Bullet co. out of Wisc., something i have had on the shelf for 15 yrs.
I think i will order something from Beartooth.

Thanks
Pete

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
For practice, basically anything I can find cheap at the gun shows.  Yeah, sometimes they lead a little but so what.

Hunting bullets are the LBT's.  Right now I'm using 280gr WFNGC's sized to 0.432" for my Super Blackhawk.  These load to an OAL of about 1.610" by the way, which is SAAMI spec and would have a good chance of feeding in your lever gun.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Pete:

For a proven 300g XTP hunting load in your Marlin try 21.5g of W296/H110 over a CCI 350 primer. It's stout but I'm getting outstanding accuracy and 1600+ fps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone;

I just bought some 240gr. XTP as the shop was out of the 300gr., so i will start with those to begin with.

Pete

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Pete,

I have loaded 240 XTPs over Green Dot, Universal and IMR4227. I don't have a chrony so these loads are not a lot of help in that department. I don't shoot heavy recoil loads very well after a few rounds so I try to load in the 1100 fps range for my Blackhawk. These would have more velocity in the 20 inch barrel. I love the Green Dot but it is not a very good Jacketed bullet load. The Universal ought to be a wonderful cast bullet load but my blackhawk eats lead bullets right now and they leave a terrible mess in my barrel. The Imr 4227 leaves unburned powder. If I thought I could handle the recoil and get a 1100 fps load with a 300 gr bullet I would try some W296.

Ramble Ramble Ramble, Yadda Yadda. I'll let you know how the Universal loads go this weekend in the revolver and the rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts