Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Marlin 444S today. I saw it in a pawn shop a week ago and it was jammed up. I stopped in today and made an offer. After some negotiating I got it for $275.

Brought it home and learned how to disassemble by watching YouTube. Cleaned it, polished a few parts and lubed it. It still had the jamming problem. \

Found this forum and read a few posts. I read the one about Hornady Leverolutiion ammo. Guess what, that is the ammo I bought. So I cut the plastic tip off and I'll be darned. The 444S cycles like a champ. I'll try to get the new follower and a new magazine spring.

Thanks for all the great information/ I feel like I got a good deal on a great rifle. Thanks again!

This must be an older 444S because it does not have the cross bolt safety. Now I'm excited to test it at the range.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
$275 FOR A .444S ! ! !

WTF ! - You're a thief ! :D

Tomato stakes cost that much - CONGRATS ! :p

BTW - AFAIK, all you have to do, to use LeverEvolution in old style mag followers, is to load a flat nose cartridge first (last out of the mag), before adding the LE shells.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Congrats on grabbing that great rifle for that excellent price! My .444S is a 1980 model, made a few years before they began adding the CBS. If you let us know the first couple numbers in your serial #, we can tell you what year yours was made, if you'd like to know(use Xs for the rest of the digits, as it's never a good idea to show full serial #s online)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Congrats on a great deal. Be advised that many of the older Marlins do not like the Leverevolution bullets. If that proves to be true, do not be discouraged. The guns usually work well with nearly every other common jacketed bullet and can be made to work well with .432 cast.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would guess your .444 will love the Hornady 265 gr XTP fp. That is a go to bullet for the .444.
I am going to try some BTB cast next. I dont think they can do much better as my groups with the Hornadys is a clover leaf 3 shot at 100 yds. I want to go hog hunting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts