Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
yeah, well i can shoot 2000 er...3000 yards with my 45-70!!!!! :LOL: :LOL:

and if you believe that, then i gots a bridge that i can sell ya.

i agree, he's way more better than me.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,306 Posts
I can shoot off hand as far as anyone wants.... whether I can hit anything, depends on the size of the target ;)

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I can shoot off hand as far as anyone wants.... whether I can hit anything, depends on the size of the target ;)
Mark is VERY good....he has his own Youtube channel and does all kinds of Extended Long range shooting...it's called "MarkandSam after work"....he has a performance auto business in australia...
seems to be a very nice guy and builds his own line of muzzle brakes and bag rests etc......fun guy to watch...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Before a Cape Buffalo hunt in RSA, I practiced shooting at close range paper buff targets with my 1895 .405 WCF.
Then as a final prep I shot at a 8 inch bulls eye at 100 yards - off hand and put all 5 rounds in the bull.
My coach said "good enough".
He was right.
My superb DG PH and two trackers put me within 25 yards of the rear end of my quarry and whispered shoot between the front legs! Off sticks, I put the 400 grain Woodie just behind the rearmost left rib and it passed through the heart and out between the front legs -- 40 + inches of penetration and still going! Practice makes perfect!
That skull mount is on the wall above my gun safe.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,202 Posts
With a FB bullet, you don't have to worry about trans sonic disturbances. So it's really a pretty straight forward drop calculation, with real time walk-in adjustment for local enviros.
Nice shooting, for sure. But it isn't like trying to land a 747 on your first ride. ;)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I landed a Boeing 777 on my first ride, manually. Shocked the heck outta the instructor. IAH, Houston Tx 2003 :) I was flying their $30 million flight simulator. :p
I practiced for a week on my home computer and flight sim program. Later on, I got to fly the 767 at IAH. What's funny, both instructors asked to sign my log book,
I didn't have one. I wasn't a pilot then.

I suppose with my luck, I could flinch well enough to hit something at 1000 yards, but I'd rather have a shot at that cape buffalo.

·
Registered
Certified Gunsmith
197 Posts
I would just like to have a 45-70 to shoot. I probably couldn't hit the broad side of a 2 liter bottle at 100 yds but I'd sure like to try.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Darkker said "With a FB bullet, you don't have to worry about trans sonic disturbances. "

Will you please explain what is a "FB bullet" and a "trans sonic disturbance" ?
Thanks.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,202 Posts
FB means a "Flat Base" bullet.
Trans-sonic being a velocity range, where just like Chuck Yeager discovered; there are disturbances or shockwaves when you transition from supersonic to subsonic.

Well those shockwaves can really affect some tail angles, causing all sorts of problems for the accuracy of the bullet.

Cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
Trans-sonic being a velocity range, where just like Chuck Yeager discovered; there are disturbances or shockwaves when you transition from supersonic to subsonic.

Well those shockwaves can really affect some tail angles, causing all sorts of problems for the accuracy of the bullet.

Cheers

Cheers
Thanks for that.
Since I have not heard of these in relation to shooting my big bore rifles and pistols, I will file them away and continue to be oblivious to them. Ignorance can be bliss.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,306 Posts
You probably aren't shooting any .30 cal 168gr. Sierra Matchkings out of your guns, between 600 and 700 yards, I'm guessing ;)

Reactions: Darkker

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,202 Posts
Lessons learned long, long ago at Camp Perry!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts