Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys the German boar hunt was successful, 03/11/03 09:03
am scored a nice German Boar at 45 yards using the 450 Guidegun gun, using Hornady Interlock 350gr on top of 50gr H4198,CCI Mag primers 2180 fps...This was st Holmer NY Coldbrook Hunts. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Woundchannel

Just so all you bigboar lovers, the 450 guidegun did its job well done, Shot was top of shoulder base of neck, entry was quarter size and exit was silverdoller size. Here is a picture of the pig cross sectioned to see the wound channel, I love Boar hunting, the meat is really good. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Yup, that's the inside of a pig, alright. I can almost smell it from here! Looks like the bullet did it's job well, great shot placment.

Congrats and hope you enjoy the meat. They sure are good eating.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike, It was a really cold day, around 10 degree out. I'm glad I shot a few rounds at the range first, the factory loads for some reason where high and to the right, i guess it could be the cold weather, I tried my handloads using 50gr H4198 and I hit mark three times, same bullet hornady 350gr Interlock, using CCI Mag primers, i think the factory uses Win primers. Nothing feels better than using your own hand loads on your pray, Take care. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
36,236 Posts
Those 350gr. Interlocks appear to have held up well, I may have to try them with some moderate loads in the .458 Win Mag. What about the rest of the pigs, any idea what gun/loads/distance/wounds/etc. were?

I gotta tell ya, seeing pigs in the snow is about the strangest sight I have ever seen.... amazing how adaptable they are. Mostly I end up shooting them down here in TX when it's somewhere between 60 and 100.....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mike, the two other boars where shot bye my friends, one with a 300 Win Mag weatherby at 10 yards using factory loads Federal 200gr Sp, at 10 yards it looked like my 450 wound channel, the 3rd boar was shot bye a 45/70 guidegun at 30 yards using RP 405 factory loads, would channel was just as good, all bullets penetrated fully with good wound channels. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
36,236 Posts
How did you get so close? Were you hunting over bait, stalking them, running with dogs, or just random chance that all the ranges were short?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike the the boars have game trails, remember the snow is waist deep in some area's up in this neck of the woods, in tern we look for heavily trailed area where you have good visibility from all sides, the guides will do a half circle along the ridge above, this will promote the bedded boars to move away from the guides, not knowing they are coming through the area were we are. this works well, about the only way to get to the big boars and make them move, Stay very still, boars may have poor sight, but they look for movement, sorta like bears, as long as your still and body broken up, near a tree/bush ect...your good to go, I use very slow movements, worked well, I use this method for most big I still stalk. The boars are known to eat the gut piles from another boar. I have to say boars are tuff critters. Aim small hit small RAMbo.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good job RAMbo! I can taste the meat from here, well at least I am salivating. Looks like a great wound channel. I will have to try that load in my 450.

Score LeverGuns 2
Pigs 0

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lindsey Mathiso that load is a very accurate load, I got this load from April Guns&Ammo 2002.I think Hodgdon is about the best powder to use in extreme weather, there other good loads using our 450 Marlin that are listed. Take care and good hunting. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts