Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Marlin 1894 .44 Mag. During transporting from the range to my home the rear folding leaf sight broke off (stuff happens).  Before i call Marlin to order a new sight, i was wondering about other sight systems available.  I have read one of Marshall's posts about AO Ghost Ring sights and he makes them sound very appealing, but 80 dollars for iron sights seems a little steep for something i'm not sure about.  I'm am looking for input that will convince me of the AO Ghost Ring, or present other solutions that may be better than the factory sights.

Thank You,

quicksilver

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
You can get a Williams receiver sight for about $30-$35.  I have one ordered for a 336 and will report to the forum when I get it all put together and use it.

Personally... the buckhorn rear sight on my gun is rather hideous, and I certainly wouldn't cry if it broke!

·
Banned
738 Posts
I have used the Williams and Lyman reciever sights on my Winchesters and Marlins for almost 30 years.  I think they are great.  I'm getting ready to put one on my 9422 along with a Ashly post front sight.  Can't beat them in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Get a Ashly sight its the best investment for your Marlin, I to have a Marlin in .44mag. You won't believe how good your Marlin will shoot.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I've had to put off getting a reciever sight for my 1894 but I have put in a lot of time in research. I have yet to see a bad thing said about any of the aftermarket sights. Everyone has a preference but all seem satisfied with what they have. The front sight is definitely a preference with some liking bead and some straight post.

I have gained confidence with the buckhorn and quick acquisition is improving. The 1894 just points well is all I can tell you. For quick shots and repeats I am doing much better with practice. Off the bench at 80 yds the thing shoots better than 3 inch groups consistantly.

It sounds like you need a new sight, and money is an issue , as it is with me, why not try the cheapest for now, in a receiver sight? It may last you a lifetime. I hope mine breaks soon but that's asking a lot.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Thank all of you for your suggestions. i was wondering if you could tell me where you purchased your sights at?  I am having trouble finding the williams and lyman sights,  and is Ashleyoutdoors the only place you can get the Ghost Ring?

Thank you,

quicksilver

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quicksilver: You can get a Ghost Ring sight directly from Marlin, as I did.
You'll also need a taller front sight than the one that comes with it, and AO will exchange it. I got a Williams bead (.450" high) instead because I like a bead with an aperture rear sight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any of the peep sights work well on the Marlin. You might want to check out the tang sights the cowboy shooters use. This is the original style which puts your eye closer to the sight and some people prefer.
I have a Marlin Cowboy model in 44Mag with a 24 power scope on it for load development. Using a 200 grain rnfp bullet over 9 grains of Unique, you can watch the bullets go into a cloverleaf at 50 yard. velocity is about 1250 like the original load for the 44-40.
I also fired the 300 grain Federal load at 100yards and got inch and a half groups.
When I finish my load development, The rifle will get a Marble tang sight and an AO front bar sight. The Williams sight is also excellent and I have several rifles so equipted. The Cowboy will be used for cowboy shooting and only the tang is legal for competition.
The peep sight is different from a standard open sight and you have to learn how to use it. I had trouble using a peep until I went into the Army and got some training. It's the only way to go for iron sights.

·
Banned
554 Posts
Whatever you get, make sure that the front sight is the right height.  I've got 3 "spare" front sights that suit cartridges I don't own...

Charlie

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have you considered a tang sight on your Marlin?
Marble's makes a wide variety of tang sights for rifles of all makes.
Marble's sights are better than Marlin's because they not only adjust for elevation, but for windage as well. At $125 a Marble's tang sight is not cheap but it's made of machined steel and well-made.
Marble's, like most tang sights, fold down when not in use but do not lose their setting when folded.
Tang sights have numerous advantages. Because they are farther from the front sight, you get a longer sight radius for more accuracy.
Also, some rifles may accommodate a barrel-mounted sight and a tang sight.
In lever actions, this usually means sighting in the barrel-mounted sight for 50 yards, and the tang sight for 100 yards.
For hunting this is a great system. It allows you to adjust your sights to your hunting conditions (brush vs. open spaces).
Tang sights on levers also look at-home; better than a receiver-mounted sight in my opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts