Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I have an original Marlin 94 with a round barrel chambered in 25-20 and was wondering what it might be worth.When I acquired it the barrel was shot out so I had it relined.It was owned by an native american back when it was illegal for them to own rifles and he put grooves notched into the wrist area and tacks driven into the stock to keep track of the deer and coyotes that were shot with it.Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Sometimes a better than good ballpark figure can be had by searching gunbroker (et al) and watching final sales.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you can get signed/notarized proof or an an affidavit that it was actually owned and used by a N.A. it would probably increase the value tremendously. Then again it could be a fake for the same purpose - that story sounds a little shaky to me... a lot of people think the brass tacks and grooves in the stock make it 'authentic Indian'... Not saying it's not real, just be careful as Indian guns are considered high priced collectibles. A lot of Mexican guns also sport owner customization.

At the western gun shows you will see many of these old timers with price tags starting around $1000 and more often than not in the $2500 range - their owners sure are proud of them....

I once saw an old rusted Colt Bisley frame (only) found out in the desert (so the story went) and the price tag was around $1200. Maybe he was hoping a trendy restaurant needed a cool display?

ETA- Somehow I thought you were being offered a gun to buy -my error, after re-reading your description, there is a good chance that might be a real Indian gun... early model, 25-20, shot-out bbl - all hallmarks of the real deal. Stock artwork was also common like painting your pony.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.