Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought my first 45/70 and will start reloading for it.  I have never reloaded rifle cartridges any advice and or recommended loads ?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Denny - I'm surprised you haven't gotten a reply before now. I am a wannabe reloader, that is, I have no experience. If you go to Marlin Talk ( www. marlinfirearms.com) and the get into the "big bore Rifle" section and ask you'll get lots of advice. Please bear in mind that you probably do not want to use any recommended loads without confirming said loads in a published manual on loads and reloading. You will however be grateful for the advice you receive regarding this subject. It will help get you pointed in the right direction hopefully. I have a 45-70 guide gun, and look forward to getting started w/ a RCBS Master Reloading Kit as soon as I can. Great gun, great cartridge. Good Luck

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
Denny,

The response to "I have never reloaded rifle cartridges any advice and or recommended loads ?" could probably fill books, which may be impacting the responses. You can start addressing the "recommended loads" question by reviewing the data in the "LoadSwap" option. Since your 45-70 is a straight wall case, loading will be very similiar to the cases I assume you're used to loading. And yes, the Marlin site or Shooters.com site has significant dialog on the 45-70 cartridge.

Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
Have you reloaded handgun cartridges?  If so... rifle will not be too much different.

Can't comment on loads, don't have a .45-70.  What sort of equipment do you have or are planning to buy?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Denny,

You leave at lot of doors to open........

Get the Speer reloading manual #13 and CAREFULLY read the section on .45-70, noting the differences in action strengths.  The data is Barnes is also setout the same way, for a reason.

The .45-70 is a great cartridge, with a WIDE variation in available data.

dclark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts