Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a new 38-55 cowboy,I have had it since may and have put about 400 rounds through it with no problems .I did find out that mine won't chamber .380 lead bullets,.378and .379 work great.
 I have had a lot of fun trying to find a load that I plan to use this coming deer season.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I absolutely love my Marlin Cowboy .38/55!!! Been using Hornady JFP's and cast bullets in 260 grains with a gas check sized .378...great hunting rifle that is smooth and easy on the shooter as well. Hoping to take an Elk with it in the near future! Good Shootin'

Regards,
Chuck Smith

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really like my Marlin 336CB in 38-55. Use .379 GC bullets of 260 grs hardcast, from Bonus Bullets with 30 grs of IMR 3031 for target work (a very mild load). Cranked over 1,000 rds thru it in the past 3 months. Have shot 5-shot groups at 200 m that were 3.5" from a sitting position. Nearly all my shooting has been offhand at 50-200m. I have never tried to find a really accurate load so I don't know what this particular rifle is capable of doing in the accuracy department. The interior of the barrel seems to be very good compared to some Marlins I have owned. It is very easy to clean and has no obvious tight spots. I love it!
ps  got a Marbles tang sight on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
HAVE HAD MY MARLIN C/B 38/55 FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW, IF MEMORY SERVES. HAVE SHOT NOTHING BUT LEAD BULLETS OUT OF IT POWERED BY XMP5744. MY BEST GROUP TO DATE IS .55" C-T-C.
THIS PARTICULAR MARLIN MAY WELL BE THE NICEST OUT-OF-THE-BOX LEVERGUN I'VE EVER OWNED. IT WAS LITERALLY PERFECT. THERE WAS NOTHING THAT IRRITATED ME. IT IS BEAUTIFULLY PUT TOGETHER, SMOOTH AS BABY'S SWEET PATOOTIE, THE BARREL INTERIOR IS GORGEOUS, THE TRIGGER WAS JUST FINE AS IS, THE WOOD IS PERFECT STRAIGHT GRAINED BLACK AMERICAN WALNUT, AND EVERTHING LINES UP PERFECTLY STRAIGHT FRONT TO BACK, OR VISE-VERSA IF YOU PREFER.
OTHER THAN PUTTING ON APERTURE SIGHTS I'VE CHANGED NOTHING ON IT, THOUGH I DO LOOK AT THAT FRONT SIGHT AND WONDER HOW LONG IT'LL BE BEFORE I CANCEL ITS' TENURE...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks to one and all for your replies on the Marlin, 38-55!!
Guess I've found a way to circulate the tax refund back into the economy!
Enjoy reading all the various postings and this is a great site! Again, many thanks fpr the info from a great bunch of shooters!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts