Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Marshall:

Could you give me any information about the use of cast bullets in the 256 mag.  I took two whitetail deer with this rifle last season with 86 gr. Remington bullets

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Pastor,
Right out of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd ed.--#257420, 68gr, #2 alloy (I used  95% wheel weight and 5% 50-50 solder) Three loads listed--starting at 5gr unique (max 6gr); starting at 9gr 2400 (max 11gr); starting at 10gr IMR 4227 (max 12gr).  I like  10.8gr of IMR 4227.  There is also three loads listed for an 88gr cast bullet.  I find the larger bullets take up too much case capacity.
The only factory bullets I use are the Hornady 60gr fp (#2510)--both in the Marlin 62 and the contender pistol.
I've been haunting quite a few forums now and this is the first time I've seen any mention of this cal.  It surely is fun to shoot!  Have you found any new brass anywhere?  I gave up and bought an RCBS forming die set and make them from new .357mag brass.  BigShooter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Pastor,
Right out of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd ed.--#257420, 68gr, #2 alloy (I used  95% wheel weight and 5% 50-50 solder) Three loads listed--starting at 5gr unique (max 6gr); starting at 9gr 2400 (max 11gr); starting at 10gr IMR 4227 (max 12gr).  I like  10.8gr of IMR 4227.  There is also three loads listed for an 88gr cast bullet.  I find the larger bullets take up too much case capacity.
The only factory bullets I use are the Hornady 60gr fp (#2510)--both in the Marlin 62 and the contender pistol.
I've been haunting quite a few forums now and this is the first time I've seen any mention of this cal.  It surely is fun to shoot!  Have you found any new brass anywhere?  I gave up and bought an RCBS forming die set and make them from new .357mag brass.  BigShooter

·
Registered
69 Posts
Count me in as a fan of the .256 and Marlin 62.  Several years ago I was lucky to find one for sale at an attractive price and in excellent condition.  Brass can be a problem.  I too almost resorted to getting a set of forming dies (expensive!) but found a supply of .22 Rem Jet brass at a fair price.  Not all are fireformed yet.  I wasted a lot of bullets fireforming until I tried 3 gr. of Unique and a tissue wad pressed into the case mouth.  This doesn't always perfectly form cases but they're blown out enough to load lightly and good brass results from the second firing.  I just noted Marshall's post above this on fireforming .30-30 brass for the .375 Win.  I may try using cornmeal and a parafin plug over the powder in an effort to get better results.  This is one fun little rifle.  God Bless, Ed

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
We do make and sell the Lyman # 257420 FNGC bullet for these rifles, we simply don't catalog or list on the website all the bullets that we have available!  We're swamped with what we already list, but yes, they are available in lots of 500+, as are most currently offered RCBS, LYMAN and SAECO bullet designs, as well as many, many discontinued bullet designs.  Simply messenger, email, or call for pricing and shipping info!

About your fire-forming, click on this link to see our post in the tips section of the website!

Fire-Forming Cases Made Foolproof!

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts