Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow shooters and hunters.
I just traded for a Marlin model 336 in 35 Rem. That was made in 1975. It's in pristine shape,I'd say probably about 98% or better. Wood and blueing is absolutely perfect.

I had one around the same time oh so 37 years ago,and regretted the day that I sold it!
So here's my question: I traded a 88% S&W model 36 chief special ,probably made in 1985.

The guy wanted $475.00 for the Marlin,and I traded for it straight up. Did I do good? I'm never going to let this one get out of my sight again! My oldest son has already put a claim to it!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Got a little trick for you if you are a reloader. Take the Marlin to a gunsmith who rebarrels rifles and get him to run a THROATER reamer in chamber and put a throat in it. The factory guns have min throats.

Once this is done you can load Sierra 180 gr. FPJ handgun bullets (to same overall length as the 35 factory rounds) and you can shoot it for about 1/3rd the cost of buying 200 gr. 35 cal bullets. I did this to mine and it hasn't seen a factory round since.These 180s have a crimp groove but you must load these to factory 35 Rem length for them to feed correctly. Loaded shorter two rounds will come out of the feed tube and jam you up. Loaded too long and it won't clear the feed tube and you are still jammed.

Check the Sierra handbook and you will see loads for these bullets.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Once this is done you can load Sierra 180 gr. FPJ handgun bullets (to same overall length as the 35 factory rounds) and you can shoot it for about 1/3rd the cost of buying 200 gr. 35 cal bullets..
I use 180gr Remington HP's with minimum length brass, and seated to the top of the crimping groove. Trail Boss works well for low velocity loads, as does 36gr of MR 3100 for about 1700fps. The MR3100 load produces 1"/ 10 shot groups at 50yds. Pressures are in the 24000psi range according to Lee. The bullets would work for short range deer or hogs, and are < $20/100.

I thought of cutting a deeper throat, but my 336 is very accurate with 180-220gr bullets as is, and I'm afraid of fixing something not broke.

Reactions: hearl

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Even up trades are always good. You wanted his Marlin more than your Smith, and he wanted your Smith more than his Marlin. Doesn't matter what any book says about value. You are a happy man with a happy son, and you can't put a dollar figure on that! Enjoy.
+1, I agree. I'd also mention that the older Marlin you have received in trade is likely much nicer than a NIB one now produced by Remington, for Marlin. I own three Marlins of about that same vintage, plus two more from the mid '80s and I like their fit and finish much better than the ones now being produced, since about 2008 or so. I can see the difference in blue quality from across the room in my 1980 .444S as compared to my 2008 1895M. The .35 Rem is a fine old chambering and I'll bet you will really enjoy that rifle!! :D

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I agree, if you're happy with the trade you did good!
I prefer the 200grn bullets in my 35 Remington, I have a 1894C 357 Magnum so I have no need to load plinker rounds for my 35 rem., the 24' "Ballard" barrel of the 336A make it a fine shooter to get the the big bullets out there!
Let us know how yours shoots!

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Welcome back, Mark! Even if you had traded a $1000 dollar rifle, the trade is good if you got more that you wanted than you traded away.

I've never shot 180's in mine yet. Mine shoots 200gr Felx Tips and Corelokts and I like it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts