Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new here and hopeful that you can answer a question for me as regards the subject Marlin Lever Action 30/30? I understand this rifle is similar to the 336? My stepson owns this rifle and is looking for an appropriate scope for it. I told him I'd be glad to buy him one for Christmas. I'm looking at spending in the range of $150.00 to $200.00, including the mounts.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all for yopur consideration!!

Dylan

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new here and hopeful that you can answer a question for me as regards the subject Marlin Lever Action 30/30? I understand this rifle is similar to the 336? My stepson owns this rifle and is looking for an appropriate scope for it. I told him I'd be glad to buy him one for Christmas. I'm looking at spending in the range of $150.00 to $200.00, including the mounts.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all for yopur consideration!!

Dylan
The rifle is a 336 if it is indeed a lever in 30/30 . I would recomend a redfield 2x7 scope and sure the dealer where you buy the scope from will suggest a good mount to go with it .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you Harry! I live in a small town in North Carolina and couldn't find anyone selling Redfield scopes.
I ended up buying a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and a Weaver base and rings for right at $200.00.
I'm hopeful this will work ok? I was told this is a fine scope for the money? Probably overkill for this rifle?

Dylan

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Thank you Harry! I live in a small town in North Carolina and couldn't find anyone selling Redfield scopes.
I ended up buying a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 and a Weaver base and rings for right at $200.00.
I'm hopeful this will work ok? I was told this is a fine scope for the money? Probably overkill for this rifle?

Dylan
I don't see where it would be considered overkill, I am using the same scope on a PCP pellet rifle.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

Dylan
I think you just did fine on your own :D:D.Maybe I would have gone with less power and a more compact unit , but the choice of scope brand and mount is very good .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Harry. I had some concern on the size of the scope also.
Hopefully all will be well.

Dylan

·
Registered
296 Posts
The only thing that may be an issue is the 40mm objective lens.

The key to scopes on a Marlin lever is to mount it as low as possible. This is because it is easy to loose a cheek weld with the scope too high as the stock does not have a raised comb.

Most people seem to stay with 32 mm or lower for just this reason.

I have a Nikon prostaff 2x7x33 on two of 336's. These are going for about $130 to $140 in my area. Mounted on low mounts which are hard to find at the Gander mountains, Dicks etc. They usually have high and medium but no low mounts. On a 3rd 336 I have it mounted on super low Talley mounts. A bit pricey mounts but very nice.

To mount low you may have to remove the rear site. I would recommend removing the site and mounting lower rather than using taller mounts and leaving he rear site in the dovetail. If yo do this, obviously do not throw out the rear site and keep it with the gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you eagleeye! You guys are great! I really appreciate your expertise!

The fellow I bought the scope from offered the same advice about removing the rear sight and also keeping it as being an original part of the rifle.

Can you compensate for the slightly higher mount when sighting the rifle with the new scope?

Also, and please excuse my ignorance, what is a cheek weld?

Dylan

·
Registered
369 Posts
The term "cheek weld" refers to the contact point between the shooter's face and the stock of the weapon. For consistent accuracy with any specific rifle the shooter will ideally mount the weapon identically each time with identical facial contact with the stock which would ideally lead to consistent eye/sight alingment. A higher comb on a rifle stock often contributes to improved accuracy especially if a scope is mounted relatively high on the weapon to clear the objective bell or to allow the use of "see through" iron sights below a mounted scope. Lacking a higher comb shooters will frequently creep up or back on the stock on a shot to shot basis trying to maximize the sight picture.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Marlin Scope

My son hunts with a Marlin 336C in .30-30. He has a Bushnell Banner 4X shotgun scope on it and loves it. With Hornady LeverEvolution bulets he can shoot 1" groups. The scope costs around $80 and the base and rings another $30 or so. The whole setup only cost around $110. It's very bright and has fast focus. We'd definitely recommend it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts