Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my last trip to the gun shop I saw Marlin's 336 based mini GG in .35 Remington, perhaps the most useful concept for and user friendly execution of a lever action I have ever handled. The .45/70, .450 and .444 are great but a bit much for many uses. Marlin though has decided to only make this a limited edition, rather than recognize the wonder of what they have created and not only keep it in their line but add .375 and .356 Winchester versions. Maybe Marlin has hired the same guy who canceled the BigBore '94 .375 and .356 Winchester. The only explaination I can think of, and this time his work is even more evil.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Fireplug,

I checked out the Marlin website yesterday and couldn't find a thing on the rifle you mentioned.  They must have already pulled it.  What were the Specs on this rifle?  Sounds like a real winner to me also!

Reb

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reb,

This little carbine was almost a dead ringer for the Guide Gun or Outfitter until you handled it and looked closely. This .35 Rem. had the 18.5" ported barrel, short tube, and no pistol grip of its' larger stable mates, but seemed six to eight ounces lighter and a little more sleek. Nice, very nice.

Fireplug

·
Registered
255 Posts
That firearm is not a Marlin cataloged item. All the LTD's are from the brains of Davidson's Gallery of Guns. Each year they have a One of 1000 Marlin built for sale. If you're interested in these creations, do a search for Gallery of Guns and they have a big site for all a persons wildest dreams. That 35 Rem has been out for 2 yrs so getting rid of a 1000 firearms of a type takes a while.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Indeed!...Some time back, I saw and handled one of those great little Marlins in .35 Rem. Had I not just bought my 1894P, I would have had to have it! It looked identical to the .44, except the caliber.
We have to accept the fact that the gun companies consider only one factor in whether they keep an model in the line or not....sales (money)
I have for some time realized that this forum does not represent the true market mindset. This forum has a much better insight as to what is workable and what is not.
Today's gun and ammo market is not made up of people that it was 20 to 30 years ago. Today's market does not have any indepth background and knowledge of firearms and are greatly influenced
by the constant puke poured out by the rag writers.
The .35 Remington, was and is, one of the all time great woods cartridges. It, combined with that little Marlin was a gem.
Many of us on this forum have tried to use our background to try to keep things on realistic dead center.......sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Keep this in mind when you are looking at polls and what is, or is not, on the market.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
572 Posts
James,

Thanks for dropping in on this thread.

I "fondled" one of the Baby "G's" the other day. What a little darlin! I have been looking for a rifle that would shoot the bullets I have on hand for my .357 with a tad more authority than something chambered for the .357Mag.

I vascilate between the little G and an older Rossi .357 that lurks deep within a local pawn shop.

Reality says I will just keep on keepin on with the 45/70 but, a man can dream.

While I will fully acknowlege that the big bore .45's are real workin guns, I just love the .357's for everyday toting/shooting. I remain convinced that, given no choice, a fella could make meat out of a pretty large critter with a .35 cal hole!

All my best,

Scotty

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Scotty.....I agree on the .357 mag. It was only when Remington brought out their great 180 gr load, and more so, when we started shooting Marshall's 185 gr FN GC's did we see the full potential of that caliber come to the forefront.
By the last count, the river boys, have put down 16 animals with that bullet with 15/16 grs of WW296 out of their S&W 686's. It is amazing what velocity one also get's out of a rifle barrel.
I still wish I had picked up that .35 Rem. though as we have had excellent results with that caliber down here for many years. On this forum we hear a lot about bear guns, but we have a critter down here called a Spanish Boar Hog that can run 400 plus pounds. He will kill you, quick! He's tough, slow nerved, and afraid of nothing! In this heavy cover down here, he will be on you in a heartbeat, so your firearm must hit hard and deep. We have put down quite a few with Marshall's 185's. They drive deep and sure. Little Hank is using Marshall's 180's in his .35 Rem...Mod.141 and it is a real killing machine. Shooters who dwell over techo ballistic mumbo gumbo read that the .357 mag is a pop gun. Say that to the river boys and they will show you a large gutpile!
Best Regards, James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts