Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt, the action will feed the 300 grain LBT style bullets but they chamber hard. The round shows that the rifling engraves the nose of the bullet .134 above the rim of the case. The 265 grain work well but I think I would like to use 300 grain bullets also. I can have the chamber altered to take the 300 grain bullet but my question is would the 1-16 RH twist stabilize the 300 grain bullet  and if it didn't would the 265 still shoot good after I had the chamber altered. Appreciate any help I can get.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Mr. Kramer,

A couple of quick, simple answers to your questions.

As for rifling twist, 1:16 will stabilize anything you would want to reasonably shoot in the little carbine, up to and including the .452"-355g WLNGC bullets!  All with excellent results if pushed hard with H110/W296, VN110, or AA #9.  You have a hard hitting, versatile carbine with lots of potential

Now about bullets and throats.   I'm not surprised about the difficulties with the bullets you describe, but those woes will disappear by simply switching to the .452"-300g WFNGC bullet (which actually weighs 310 grains).   You will stay in the weight bracket that you desire, and get rid of the bearing surface that is ahead of the crimp groove, thereby allowing flawless chambering, and still leave the gun in its stock throat configuration!  This will make an awesome combination in the Marlin 1894 .45LC carbine!

Fun gun, under-rated gun!  Enjoy!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just checking to see what my options are, I have 200 of the bullets you mentioned on order from you but the way my luck runs, they will chamber and not feed through the action. Sometimes if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all.  I can agree about the rifle, I played with it all weekend and shot up over 200 rounds of ammunition and would have shot up more if I had taken it with me. It was the first decent weather we have had and it was a weekend to shoot. It was the first chance I had to shoot my Redhawk in 45 C since Mr. Clements worked on the throats and at 25 yards it just chews big holes. For some reason mine seems to shoot the best groups the faster I run the bullets, I had worked up to 23 grs LilGun,WLPP,265 grain bullets and they shot tighter groups than 20 to 22 grains did and there are no signs of pressure. I really like this 45 in both the rifle and revolver. Your website and members of the board are really a big help to us just starting out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts