Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I recently purchased a Marlin XL7 in a 30-06. My initial thoughts of the rifle were that the price is GREAT. The stock was / is a little cheap or chintzy. but with a little work and some foam the hollow cheap sound goes away. It doesnt have a box magazine, but for the price that doesnt bother me.

I was told the barrel assembly is made by savage. If it is, thats just a plus.

I put about 40 rounds through the rifle, tried some 165 grain remington core t-locks and hornady superformance in 165 gr as well. they both shoot well for me, it shot 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. well I should say, I shot 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. the rifle will shoot MUCH better than I am capable myself.

all in all, a good purchase for a rifle at the entry level price.

Here is a picture with my custom hand made rifle sling:

DesertGhost

DG - Sorry, but you're not allowed to advertise saleable items without the board owner's permission. When you attain 25 or more posts, you may list AN ITEM in the Trading Post forum for sale or trade.
kdub - Moderator

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sir,

Congrats, fine rifle there and the price speaks for itself. I agree that they are very well built, are capable of some real accuarcy, and there is not much to dislike here.

I bought a 7/08 that I intended for my daugther to use when she went to the field, and although she carried it on one occasion, she hasn't collected anything with it yet. I was very impressed on how well it shot, and handled- so much so that I considered taking it out a few times myself.

One thing that I've noticed in a short time, is how nicely it is getting broken in. Seems like the trigger and bolt are turning much smoother with use, and the barrel seems to be shooting tighter with every session. If she doesn't end up keeping the gun, expect that Old Dad might.

Best to you Sir.

Steve

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Have heard nothing but good things about the XL7

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes indeed. good things from the XL7.

Steve, I have to agree with you on the accuracy with age thing. They do seem to shoot better the more rounds you get through them. A buddy has a .270, he LOVES it. and it continues to get better. I would say he has close 200 rounds through it. Trigger breaks clean and crisp, the groups seem to get better and better as well.

have fun with that 7/08!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I have 3 Marlin "X" guns and they are the most consistantly accurate guns I've ever owned or shot. My '06 will shoot under .75" day in and day out with any good 165gr bullet when sitting on IMR4350. It shoots 180 gr Nosler Solid Base bullets into one hole and most other 180s under 1" no matter the powder. I have over 2000 rds thru that gun and it continues to amaze me everytime it goes to the range.

The "X" guns are the best gun on the market under $600 and they continue to outsell all other brands in my local shop.

P.S.
Marlin makes the barrels and the barrel nut. Savage no longer has the patent on that process, and it is a foolproof way to get the perfect headspace without a lot of time and effort. MArlin took the best features and MFG practices of many guns and put them together to make a rifle with expensive features, inexpensive.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
Wolfe's Rifle Magazine had an excellent article on the Marlin X rifle this month. Nothing but good things to say about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts