Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newer 1894 44mag with the cross bolt safety and 20" barrel. I currently have a Williams Fire sight on the front and a Williams WGRS rear sight. I am thinking of trying the KNS front sight reticle front sight. Midway has them in their catalog complete with the proper dovetail. They vary in hight from .425", .525" and .625". Which one would work best for my gun.

I also don't like the way the WGRS sits on the gun and want to get a Williams FP receiver sight. I'm not sure which one I need because I heard they are not the same between different years on the 1894. In Midway's catalog it lists part # 968-159 for Marlin Centerfire lever actions. Is this the right one? Also its kind of funny, or not, but it lists the FP sight/with the fire sight combo for the same price as the above FP sight only!

Any advise would be appreciated.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
You can check on Williams website but I think you need the FP336 which fits the rear scope holes if your gun doesn't have the two side tappings about 3/4" apart on the left side of the reciever toward the rear. If it has the tappings then the FP 94/36 works. I have 1894's with both and they work fine along with the 5D 94/36 and 5D 336 which is less expensive and if your going to sight the gun in and basically shoot the same loads they are fine.
Mike B.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine has two screws a little below and forward of the extractor spring hole. They aren't 3/4" apart though, maybe a 1/2", it also has the scope screws on the top of the reciever. I'm using the rear two for the WGRS sight.

What do you think about the reticle sight?

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
You're right they are probably closer to 1/2" apart. I have no experience with a "Reticle" sight. I have a lot of Williams reciever sights that work for me but that's personal preference. You can then experiment with different front sights. Gold beads verus white or black and also different sizes. My personal preference for a brush gun is a larger gold bead, for target shooting smaller is better but yours eyes are also a factor. I don't think anybody can tell another person what will work for them because we are all different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.