Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw in another of your posts that you have a Dave Clement customized Bisley in .44 mag. Being that I have not one but TWO 5.5" .44 mag S/S Bisley's on order from Dave and am curious what's been fone to yours and what load you shoot in it?
Manny

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Manny,

The gun I mentioned is a 5.5" Bbl Stainless Bisley Vaquero.  Dave Clements did some work on it for me, and it now has less than .002" barrel/cylinder gap, a bushing installed in the cylinder to take up the end play, free-wheeled cylinder, trigger job, Wolffe Spring kit, bead blasted low-luster satin finish, 11 degree forcing cone, recontoured and finished grips, cylinder throats uniformed at .432", fire-lapped barrel and widened rear sight notch (helps me with rapid sight alignment... especially in lower light conditions).

Now, outside of that, nothing special... (as James Gates would say) just your average do it yourself Ruger Bisley Vaquero kit!   This is an outstanding packin' revolver in my estimation!   Rugged, relatively lightweight, portable, easily carried, accurate (very!), and manageable under heavy recoil.   I haven't owned a better single-action big bore packin' gun!

As for loads... well as you can imagine, I've shot every bullet we make through this critter, many, many times.  For the use it will see, and the purposes that I carry it, I find that the .432'-280g WFNGC bullet at around 1300 fps is plenty of potency for 95% of my use and yet still manageable and enjoyable to shoot.   I've never yet recovered one of these pills from game, so I'm not concerned with lack of penetration... even on BIG critters.   I too am coming to appreciate the easy shooting characteristics of the .432"-265g WFNGC bullet as well.   This is the twin of the .280g WFNGC, just a bit lighter in weight.   That lighter weight makes for noticable differences in recoil at the 1300+ fps bracket and with equal accuracy.   I doubt if in truth I really need more, but the insurance of the proven track record of the 280g pill is reassuring.

Well, in a nutshell you've got a quick idea of my Ruger Bisley Vaquero, as requested!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Excellent post, Marshall...This gives all of us, depending on available bucks, the "recipe" for converting our Ruger "Do-It-Yourself Kit" into a class act handgun! At times, we want to complain about the "out-of-box" Rugers. Let me remind everyone that they satisfy most shooters (who really couldn't shoot anything better) and still keeps the price within reach! Some shooters my not go the complete route, but the "backbone" is there to create whatever "critter" you may want!
Best Regards, James.....It's only fun when the Hunter could become to Hunted! jcg

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, sounds like mine will be similar but no quite like yours. I'm getting them as part of the deal put together over the Sixgunner.com message board. Specs are:
-Windage adjustable, replaceable black front sight
-O/S base pin
-11 deg. forcing cone
-action job
-cylinder mouths done, but I'm not sure what size
-it'll be left bright, they didn't want to get into bead blasting with the package, leaves room for future work I guess, may look into doing at work as I have access to a bead blaster, just a little scary.
I can't wait for them to come but they won't be done till Aug or Sept. I'll be in touch soon for your book & some bullets, just got to get back on my financial footing after spending the &#36 on the guns. I was just going to get one to use for deer hunting and as an all around woods gun, but sacrificed my old faithful SBH and nice .22 so I could have a matched pair for SAS shooting. I wanted to try it back so long ago I think there were less than 2000 members, they're now pushing 40,000 and I figured I had to finish getting the gear or I might never get into it.
Thanks,
Manny

P.S.: Marshall, please excuse the misspelling of your name in the header, my fingers sometimes betray me when typing.

P.P.S.: James, Ruger gives you the goods, might not be the fanciest but I own a few and have never had one let me down. I've made do for quite some time with stock ones, these done up jobs are something I've dreamed of for many years, feel very lucky to finally be able to get them.  

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Right You Are...Advanced rifle hunters/shooters for years have(including myself)built custom rifless! The same can be done to handguns! The lowly Mod 98 in 8mm Mauser has killed a ton of game for the boys who could not afford the latest Fancy Dan Factory High Gloss Sporter...then as time went by, was converted into a better custom rifle than the factory could build.
Well...It's time to feed thr bulldogs!
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
44 Posts
Marshall, have you done any work with a long cylindered 5shot  custom Ruger and  the heavyweights (405grs)?

-Craig

·
Registered
29 Posts
Manny,
     I had David Clements do a 500 Linebaugh conversion for me. I know that is not what he is doing for you, but I will take a second of your time to tell you that he a top notch 'smith. He does great work and is a pleasure to talk to. Good luck with your Ruger, Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts