Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marshall;

Tomorrow at noon my older son and I are headed for the Jordon Valley country to shoot rockchucks on a friend's ranch in the lava fields.  Long trip (800 miles) but worth the 11 hrs on the road.  I'll let you know what we find and shoot.

dclark

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was able leave Friday at noon:30 and drove to Jordan Valley by 11:30.  My brother and Andy were still up working on the last of a bottle of Glenlevit single malt scotch and playing music.  Andy then got out a few partial bottles of various whiskeys and we proceeded to injure ourselves until we quit at 2:30.  The rockchucks had a chance!

However, the boy (20yoa) was eagle-eyed!  He shot well, and I can not complain.  We managed to shoot 40+ chucks that day.  The following day, after considerably less injury and a FINE meal, we killed 60+ chucks.  The only clitch was the loss of a starter in the pickup.  

We burned over 300 rounds, which does not say much for average, but worked at ranges from 20 to 300+ yards.  I sure missed my old .22-250.  The .223's just don't have the reach, but are deadly to 275-300.  Don't hold up in the wind, at all, however.  Also managed one coyote at 425 steps, but not an instant kill.  Too bad.

All in all, the company and food was great; the music very good and the shooting good.  CAn't seem to find a down side, except the 11 hour trip each way.  Any that with the boy is not unpleasant, just long.  (Good kid, er, young man.)

Good time!

dclark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts