Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
For light loads with mid-weight bullets I use both Universal Clays and AA #5, with a preference generally for the AA #5 in most cases.  Perhaps it's because I've loaded with it longer, or have more of it on hand.  The AA #5 just consistently delivers very uniform ballistics and accuracy with a minimum of load development and it meters so well while being practically immune to swings in temperature.

On the other hand, loads that I worked up fifteen and twenty years ago using Unique, I now confidently substitute Universal Clays in place of the Unique (at least in mid-weight bullet, fairly light loads) to get the clean burning attributes of Universal Clays.   It's a great substitutiary powder for Unique in most instances.

FWIW!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Alan.  I wondered this too so I called the tech guy at Accurate.  He gave me the following info:

Average Granual Size
No. 2  0.018"
No. 5  0.027"
No. 7  0.012"
No. 9  0.015"

No. 7 is even smaller than No. 9 .... Sheesh!  It must be microscopic!  Notice that No. 2 is slightly larger than No. 9 and No. 5 is almost twice as large No. 9.  Hope that helps.

God Bless,
Mark in GA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts