Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know - bad humor -  :biggrin:

Again, many thanks for measuring my slugs.  Based on these dimensions, to what diameter do you recommend I have my cylinder throats opened to?:

Groove diameter: .4510"

Cylinders:

I      0.4510"
II     0.4507"
III    0.4503"
IV    0.4501"
V     0.4500"
VI    0.4508"

Thanks again Bullet Guy.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Alan,

I would highly suggest that you open those cylinder throats up to .453".  This will allow for some buildup of carbon deposits, or perhaps lead and yet still permit easy chambering of ammo loaded with bullets having strong, full diameter front driving bands. (Like the LFN's and WFN's)  Too, the .453" sizing will still permit excellent accuracy with .452" diameter standard size bullets of both jacketed and cast persuation.

Most folks who have followed this course of action report stellar performance out of these Ruger revolvers.

Hope this helps, and keep us posted!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do Marshall and thank you.

As odd as this sounds, out of 5 gunsmiths in the Portland, OR metro area, only one is setup to ream cylinder throats (using Brownell reamers).  The others needed me to describe what I wanted done and.....why!

I will either go with Robert Stillwell or Dave Clements to have the work done.  

God Bless,

Alan

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Alan,

I just went through the same experience this last Thursday. I aked a local (major sporting chain) gunsmith and he asked, "Why do you want that done."  He then called their home location in Wisconsin where they have five full time gunsmiths and was told, "We're not set up to do that."

Apparently a lot of Ruger owners are merrily plinking along with various size throats.

Dan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,237 Posts
Nah... we just fix them ourselves!

I've done a couple, in my garage, with emery cloth / split rod technique.  Works GREAT and the price is right.

·
7,762 Posts
MikeG,

I stand corrected, apparently a lot of Ruger owners who are not familiar with split rod technique are merrily plinking along with various size throats -- me included.

It sound similiar to the technique my fifth grade teacher used when we were naughty?

Dan

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah Mike! Share the wealth of info here. I may not have a garage, but I do not think that would stop me from finding the other stuff.

My Bisquero is still a work in progress and them throats are an issue.

How does Ruger bore different sized holes like that anyways?

Scotty

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan & Scotty -

The technique referenced above is detailed in Marshall's Technical Guide.  It's an outstanding resource to have (a must)  in your library.

Since Murphy has been my worst "best" friend as of late , I feel most comfortable having the job done professionally.  It seems I can't  buy a pistol from Ruger without having to send it back (without having even touched it!)  :biggrin:

·
Registered
572 Posts
"It's an outstanding resource to have (a must)  in your library."

Alan,

On my "list" for sure.

Still dinkin around with life's bumps and our very short summer season coupled with my looooonnnnnngggg list of things to do before winter (which may come tomorrow for all I know.

I leave for moose camp in about a week and a half (geeezzz, where did the summer go!) and will be packing the .45

I hope that opportunity knocks as I would like to take my moose with it this year. It is shooting well enough to hit a washtub sized target at typical longbow ranges ;*)

My winter project will be to complete the process of wringing out the Bisquero. I just have to figgure out a way to make the trigger guard big enough to fit my mitten into.

Blessings,

Scotty

·
7,762 Posts
Alan,

This Marshall person must be quite a fella, I should have given him more credit as I quit reading after the instructions on fire lapping -- which by the way I did follow with outstanding success.  I'll read the "rest of the story" today!  Bad habit I perfected in school, just read the assignment...............

Dan

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"as I quit reading after the instructions"

I resemble that remark Dan.  I failed my one and only test in my freshman year at college by not following directions: "Read everything through before answering any questions".  No Sir - I studied and crammed to the point of bursting and I wasn't about to ruin my cadence by reading everything through first.  Geez...stupid teacher. You probably already know the outcome....the final instruction was to not complete any of the questions and simply sign on the dotted line for a guaranted "A".  I do believe I can take credit for coining the now famous Gump phrase, "Stupid is as stupid does"  :biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts