Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
marshall, my collet die came in the other day. i had to try it out. the 440 gn, cast performance round when seated on the gas check still will not touch the rifling. the weather here did not allow me to shoot today. might you have any thoughts on the throat length. hopefully i can find someone to cut the throat length, to fit the round.

found a picture of jj hack's 458 lott. go to, www.home.earthlink.net/~rifles/   it is the 458 lott, w/o a scope featured in rifles. just too nice for a working rifle. ha ha

thanks for the conversation the other day. muchly appreciated. john

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
o.k. folks, just for the record. factory ammo shoots real good in this rifle. HOWEVER, this rifle was bought with the intention of shooting cast pills. with the factory crimp die, the tumbling was much less noticable. but with the throat length. i do not know what to do. maybe it was secretly cut for the .458 lott. hahaha. i will work on this some more before i get flustered. thanks all john

·
Beartooth Regular
2,146 Posts
halfbreed,
     Two solutions present themselves to me. Either use a heavier, longer cast bullet to better fit the throat, or have a gunsmith set the barrel back a thread or two and shorten the throat. My smith does this service for about $75 dollars.
   Just a couple of ideas!       IDShooter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts