Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working up different loads for the 265keith of Marshall's, .45colt in flavor. I'm posting this, not to be a braggart, but to show the accuracy of these great bullets!!!;)

This was a string of 5 rounds of the 265 keith, .452. using 8grains of Hodgdon Univ. Clays. It was fired from my 4 5/8 stainless BH, indoors.
At 25 yards.
The same results were made with my Mountain gun in the same calibre.:D
Beartooth, be VERY proud of your product!

Chris~

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
You, the handguns and the bullets make a great combination. I'll bet you were pleased and sure should be.

Thanks for the pictures.

Dan

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pleased?????

It was more like ELATED!!!
My eyes are not the greatest, so I can see the black dot with the help of glasses[Hmmmm, reminiscant (sp) of another post],
but until I brought the target in after the 10 shots did I see what these bullets are capable of. I plan to use this load, at that speed, in Vermont this Nov. for deer and I'll bring along some "hot ones" for the BH and winnie just in case I'm able to find a bear!

Thanks for the kind words DOK.

Chris~

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Can I be your friend? Definitely don't want either of those guns pointed at me with that kind of shooting. Wuff.;)

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Can you be my friend???

I believe so, if you check out my new grips for the Mountian gun
They are a set of Hogue "lamo camo" I received on a trade.

Chris~;)

·
7,764 Posts
m141a,

I've always been very pleased with my Hogue grips. I have a set of the same style but from Kingswood that is also attractive. I've used several of their single shot style grips that fit and look as good as a couple of $200 custom grips I have.

Do you find the wood grips of that style to work better for you than the Hogue rubber grips of the same style?

Dan

P.S. As an afterthought, considering your posted target, I don't know why I even asked that question !

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually DOK;
I just put those grips on today. that target was shot with the rubber Hogue grips. If it does not shoot as good, due I guess mostly because of felt recoil, [meaning the difference between the rubber and wood] I'll go back to the rubbers.
I plan to go out on Saturday to try the new grips out, but I'll let you know.
I've never really been a fan of rubber or synthetic grips. I only have two pairs of rubber grips; both of them Hogue. The pachmeyers always felt uncomfortable in my hand when handling a friend's gun.
The Hogues are on the Mountain gun and also a Ruger Security-six .357 with a 2 3/4" bbl. They really do the job on taming the "pop" on that snubbie .357!!!:eek:

How 'bout you? Rubber for the BOOMERS or wood?

·
7,764 Posts
m141a,

I shoot better with the rubber for the S&Ws, but definitely wood, micarta or buffalo horn for the single actions. I've struggled with the selection for single actions when using full loads. Because of my small hands, most of the wood is a little larger than ideal. The "cowboy" buffalo horn from Eagle works well, as well as the custom "slim" micarta grips from Blu Magnum.

Since the S&W (model 29s) and Ruger Redhawks recoil straight back, the rubber seems to fit and stay in place better for me. The cowboy style (for example, on the 5-shot 45LC) actually works better for me than the bisley (contrary to apparently everyone else) so standard grips work well.

Dan

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan;
I concur!
Ah, the choices in life, if it were all only so easy!!!:D

be well,
Chris~

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,234 Posts
Dan,

If your hands are small, the cure for the Bisley is to thin the grips, especially the front, until you can get a good grab on them. Makes all the difference in the world to me. And most of the stock Ruger grips aren't quite pretty enough to deter me from sanding on them!

Seriously, give it some thought, and start sanding. Slim a little, see how it feels, repeat as necessary. You'd be surprised at how much difference a bit of customizing helps.

·
7,764 Posts
Mike,

Appreciate the information. Each of the three pair of grips I have for the Bisley are too large, but I'm a realist on my ability to sand anything evenly. I realize everyone will tell me how easy it is, but trust me, there are sanders, average sanders, poor sanders, and then there's me.

The Bisley I have has about $1300 worth of gunsmithing, so I would like to have it fit me better. I've gotten tired of trying to match the cartridge load to the point of aim (it's a Vaquero), so I'm going to send it back to Alpha Precision to have S&W rear sights and "multiple blade" front sights. After it's back, I'll need to give it a try as you suggested. I may also order a set of slim grips from Blu Magnum, an outlet I've had good success with.

Dan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Sanding

DOK
I made a muzzle loader from a kit a few years back. I got the stock completed except for the finish. This included several hours of 220 grit sanding to get the contours just right by the pattern.
I decided to be on the smart side and took it to a local gunsmith who specializes in muzzleloaders to see if there is any thing I had missed.
He took it, looked at it and announced that the wrist was too thick.
He stuck it in a vise, grabbed a horseshoe rasp and went to work. He moved more wood in 3 minutes than I had since I began the project.
He then handed it to me and said "Smooth that out a little and it'll be right."
It was.
Since then I have been a lot more agressive with the sanders.
I took a Dremel tool to my rubber Hogue grips to remove a little excess rubber from selected areas because my hands are too muscular for the standard grip. Not bragging, I handle heavy sheets of paper daily so they are over developed.
Grab the sander and go at it.

·
7,764 Posts
Jim,

One pair for the Bisley is micarta and another pair is bone, so I'll need to use the factory set and see if I'm getting better in my old age. My wife says I'm not, so I may be in trouble. Always been afraid that reworking grips was like the old hair cut problem, you always take just a little bit more and too late find you can take it off, but can't put it on. With my finesse, I figured they would end up looking like they had finger groves. But we'll give it a try. I appreciate "knowing what you're doing" comes from "doing it", so need to get going.

Thanks again,

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts