Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a friend that owns a shotgun (side by side 12ga) and would like to know more about it, it has the title written on the side and that is all he knows about it, any info would be great

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
From your information I can tell you that it's a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun.
We will need more info.

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the point of the thread was to find out more about it (history, rarity), i don't need you to tell me what i've already said... but thanks for the 'info'...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
the point of the thread was to find out more about it (history, rarity), i don't need you to tell me what i've already said... but thanks for the 'info'...
Quentin
Does the title on the side of the action say Massachuettes Bicycle etc.?
If so I was mistaken in my response.
I'm wondering if this was one the firearms companies that eventually became Mossburg or the line that Smith and Wesson bought.
Back in the 1880s there about Spain had umpteen gun factories making cheap copies of Colt, Smith And Wesson, British shotguns that would be stamped with, Say Ace Hardware or some unrelated retailor's name say The Mass. Bicycle Company.
These weapons were a danger to everyone in the near vincinty. Lots of these 'Saturday Night Specials' were sold all over the West.
Jim

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I don't have a reference for either of those names. Two names from two different continents, check for proofmarks as they may give you country of origin. Sometimes you compare the shape of the gun or the individual parts to another brand to determine lineage.

~~~

Massachusetts Arms Company was a trade name for Crescent Fire Arms Co., they were sidelocks and used from 1905 to 1920.

It was also a trade name for the J.Stevens Arms Company, but these were boxlocks, dates 1920-1940.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the gun has iver johnson written on the top of the right barrel, and has special n.z model written on top of the left one. it has iver johnson, arms and cycle works, fitchburg mass u.s.a on one side of the receiver and a hunting dog engraving on the other side. the butt pad has iver johnson and an owl on the back. the cap at the bottom of the pistol grip has iver johnson also

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no i want to find out about the history, what are the links to current gun companies and such things... why so suspicious?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
... why so suspicious?

Because you had all the pertinent information, didn't list it, and sent us on a wild goose chase looking in our books and checking our sources...to help you.

The very first reply in this thread was a request for more information, from you, and your response was" i don't need you to tell me what i've already said" .

Now, I suppose you would like us to go do our research and pull our books out again, to give you the answers you desire?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,926 Posts
Settle down, fellas.....

Iver Johnson is a well known manufacturer. Probably some sort of special run for someone. Google "Iver Johnson" and betcha you find all sorts of pictures and history.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks mike, and mainspring, take a chill pill dude, i found out more about it as i had a 2hr drive to go see the thing and take notes on things, i don't expect anything from you, but if you have enough time to complain about how i "sent you on a wild goose chase..." all i asked was if someone knew anything about these guns, and i was hoping to help and not offend by making the 350km round trip to go see the gun, find out more about it and have more information to help you guys... i will go ask somewhere else...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Quentin go somewhere else and be rude and ask the same thing it will get you nowhere all Jim and mainspring were trying to help you and you made that hard on them

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,926 Posts
Complaining about the quality of the free help you receive is considered poor taste on the forum. Just FYI.

Before this turns into a shouting match, I'm locking the thread. You have a good starting point - research Iver Johnson models and special branded runs. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.