Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Jackets are not normally tapered (hunting bullets generally use jackets tapered to a thinner thickness towrads the front) and the jackets are a bit brittle and tend to shatter rather than peel back. For .224" varminting, the 52 and 53gr. bullets work pretty well as fragmenting isn't a bad thing in this use. In .308, the 168's. 190's are less predictable.

Can certainly kill game, but it's anyone guess what the bullet will do once it smacks fur.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Like ribbonstone said, they dont really expand so the damage done to the animal will be minimal, unless you try for a head shot.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
It doesn't matter with varmints, you can use whatever you want on them.

Match bullets have very thin jackets so they can deliver very good concentricity.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,095 Posts
Maybe. You just don't know until you try it, and in a big game season that you've invested a lot of time and money in is usually a bad place to start.

There is a long-range crowd, that really likes Sierra Matchkings. Keep in mind that these guys are generally using them out where velocity drops off and you need a more fragile bullet at those ranges. Also, they tend to use very heavy ones for caliber, like 240gr. in .30 cal and 300gr. in .338. So you can afford to fragment a little as there's a bunch of bullet to start with.

Also the Bergers have their following.

Ballistic Tips, in my past experience, were match-bullet accurate, and varmit-bullet explosive. They are supposed to be better now.

If you have some sort of large varmits like pigs to experiment on, you might get some ideas. I won't say who did it, but I shot a pig that survived a .223 in the ham so try to hit the parts you don't plan on eating.... ;)

·
Banned
199 Posts
Varmint bullets and match bullets have a lot in common, with the emphasis on high BC's and greater accuracy. Terminal performance isn't so important for varminting, when you're shooting rabbits or smaller game with a high powered centrefire. As long as the match projectiles are light enough in construction to expand or even come to pieces on impact, they should work fine.

I understand what Mike is suggesting with trying them out on bigger game but in all honesty I wouldn't even experiment shooting pigs with match grade projectiles in a .22/250. There are plenty of bullets in the 55 - 70gn weight which are better constructed for this sort of shooting.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
I was thinking of trying the 52 grain bthp in 22-250 for varmints. good choice or not
Worked well for me, along with the 53gr flat based match bullets. Doubt they are any better than the soft points. Might give up some long-long range expasnion/"explosiveness" where a tapered jacket soft point (or poly point) would not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts