Shooters Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,341 Posts
Maybe. You just don't know until you try it, and in a big game season that you've invested a lot of time and money in is usually a bad place to start.

There is a long-range crowd, that really likes Sierra Matchkings. Keep in mind that these guys are generally using them out where velocity drops off and you need a more fragile bullet at those ranges. Also, they tend to use very heavy ones for caliber, like 240gr. in .30 cal and 300gr. in .338. So you can afford to fragment a little as there's a bunch of bullet to start with.

Also the Bergers have their following.

Ballistic Tips, in my past experience, were match-bullet accurate, and varmit-bullet explosive. They are supposed to be better now.

If you have some sort of large varmits like pigs to experiment on, you might get some ideas. I won't say who did it, but I shot a pig that survived a .223 in the ham so try to hit the parts you don't plan on eating.... ;)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.