Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own or have access to a chronograph, but I have found a load that I like so I thought I would put it out here and see if any of you number-crunchers with the computer programs and slide-rules can figure out some ball-park pressure/velocity/energy numbers for me.

.375 Winchester out of a 20 inch '94 big bore

30 grains of imr 3031, standard Winchester Large Rifle Primer.

260 grain Hard Cast, gas checked and lubed bullet.

Seating to the crimp groove of the bullet created a short over-all length of 2.45 which creates a mildy compressed load.

I test-fired these rounds at a local indoor range and was able to shoot an off-hand 5-shot, 3 inch group at the maximum 25 yard mark.

There seems to be no outward signs of pressure issue except for a little flattening of the primer.

Recoil wasn't much worse than the jacketed 220 grainers.

Anyone have any calculations that might give a few clues - or better yet, can anyone point me towards som resources so I can do this type of figuring myself?:confused:

· Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jack,

Here are my crude measurements using Lyman calipers and my lee scale.

Full loaded cartridge - 2.4 (average) in

Empty case - 2.019 in

Bullet length - .991 in

bullet diameter - .376

base of bullet (gas check) to crimp groove - .609 in

water weight of full case - 46.4 gr

water weight to base of bullet 30.01 gr

· Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jack,

Thanks for your help.

I think I may be riding the line, but judging from the un-scientific reactions I get (the recoil isn't very bad, the lever doesn't kick open and I see no visible signs of problems with the fired cases) I think I can continue with this load.

The 30 grains is a few grains short of the limits I have found in the Loadbooks USA manual I have - I was just worried that the bullets I am using were seating too deep and causing too much compression.

I'll check into the software you mentioned, thanks again:)

· Banned
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alk8944,

I have several manuals and I know 30 grains is withint the limits for the lyman bullet and the 260 gr rcbs 37-250.

However - since my final length is shorter than normal I came here for additional information

This forum is a place where I can usually find the help I need, like I did from Jack.

I do not use this forum to be patronized by someone like you.

I appreciate the info, but if I have to be ridiculed to get it you can stick it where the wind blows but the sun doesn't shine - please lose the additude :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.