Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum but not new to rifles.

I am looking at a used custom Mauser 3000 that I may want to rebarrel. It is in 30-06.

I would be interested in your opinions about this action. I believe that it is not a controlled round feed, but I am not certain. Does anyone know for sure?

In general, is it a good action? Or, is it an extraordinary action, or, is a poor action? CRF is probably not a big deal, because I would be using it for varmints, deer, etc., and not dangerous game, unless it was hog hunting.

Thank you for any input!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Steve, welcome here!

Rules are simple: be nice and join in. Check the stickies for other rules as well.

As far as your action, I'm not too sure. I figured I'd give you a hearty "welcome" anyway. :) Other guys will comment soon enough. Lots of smart, friendly people here.

What cartridge do you want to rebarrel to? Will you stick with .30-06?

I'll see you around the forum.

Matt M

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve, welcome here!

Rules are simple: be nice and join in. Check the stickies for other rules as well.

As far as your action, I'm not too sure. I figured I'd give you a hearty "welcome" anyway. :) Other guys will comment soon enough. Lots of smart, friendly people here.

What cartridge do you want to rebarrel to? Will you stick with .30-06?

I'll see you around the forum.

Matt M
Matt,

Thank you for the welcome. The forum is a great place to share information.

All the best to you.

Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I forgot to say: I would probably rebarrel to 25-06 or 6.5-06, with a top quality match barrel that I would expect to shoot .5 MOA or so. Maybe a Krieger, or Shilen, or Lilja.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I would shoot it first to find out how it does. You may find that the 3000 is more accurate than you can hold. With standard loads my 30-06 will do sub minute of angle at 100 yards. Will open up to about 1.5 inches with heavy hunting loads. Don't forget this is a light sporter and has a slimmer barrel than Remingtons or Winchesters. Mine likes 150-165 grain bullets.

Note the barrel is hammer forged and very smooth inside. They lockup tight and the trigger is adjustable. The safety blocks the firing pin but does not lock the bolt closed. That way you can unload or change cartidges without taking the safety off. Redfield made scope mounts for the 3000 and any good quality rings will fit.

By the way the major reason I bought it was the bolt handle is on the right side for me, LEFT.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I had a .30-06 Model 2000, in the mid-70's. While it was attractive enough, I didn't care for the aluminum bottom metal, with cast engraving & game scene - so sold it after a year or two.

The Mauser 2000 and 3000 were originally designed by Heym, and were originally released as the Heym SR10 and SR20 rifles.
These were designed specifically to be inexpensive to manufacture, and for export to countries such as the U.S.
Mauser-Werke leased the idea, with space to manufacture, from Heym - thus the Mauser Original roll mark.

The serial numbers started with 67110 in 1968 and ended with 95204 in 1974.

Both actions were made from round bar stock supplied by Krupp steel.
They are both push feed actions - not CRF.

The difference between the 2000 and the 3000 is that the 3000 came without iron sights and had a soft rubber recoil pad.

The recoil lugs of these rifles were welded onto the action, rather than being forged / machined in one-piece with the action - as the original Mausers were.

IIRC, These rifles were distributed in the US by Bauer-Mauser in Michigan.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I don't find the alloy floor plate/trigger guard a disadvantage at all. Look at one of the most popluar pump shotguns made right here, it has a alloy reciever and plastic triggerguard/fire control group! :eek:

The 3000 was well made as it came in most magnum cartridges up to 375 H&H magnum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
3000 mauser

if the action is sound you will be very satisfied. i have a 3000 in 300 dakota with a 30 inch lilja barrell busts gallon milk jugs all day long @1000 yards love to see peoples loooks when i bust a groudhog at 5-600 yards nosler psrtition is the way to go skidrowpete

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do own and use a 3000

Hello,

I am new to the forum but not new to rifles.

I am looking at a used custom Mauser 3000 that I may want to rebarrel. It is in 30-06.

I would be interested in your opinions about this action. I believe that it is not a controlled round feed, but I am not certain. Does anyone know for sure?

In general, is it a good action? Or, is it an extraordinary action, or, is a poor action? CRF is probably not a big deal, because I would be using it for varmints, deer, etc., and not dangerous game, unless it was hog hunting.

Thank you for any input!
Sorry if I'm late to this post but here is my info. I have a lefty Mauser 3000 chambered in 243 Winchester. It has reversing serial numbers, i.e., something like 63536. I wrote to Mauser and asked about this several years ago and was told that this was a custom made rifle for someone that evidently was never accepted by the person who ordered it. The stock is "Fiddle back walnut" and a real beauttie. I have a 3-9 Nikon mounted on look under mounts. Contrary to a prior post, my rifle did come with iron sites. I've routinely used this rifle for deer hunting since about 1970, harvested 35 deer, and only ever had to track two for any distance. Those two were my fault. I like to call this my "Nine Pace" rifle because that is generally the distance between where I the deer was when I took my shot and the gut pile. I zero the rifle at 300 yards because I can hold my aim dead on for any deer from 0 - 350 without any problem. At 300 yards, I can usually cover a six shot bench group with a half-dollar. The nice thing about a 243 is that I do not damage a whole lot of meat with a shot. There have been many time where there is NOT an exit wound. Here is hoping you can find the rifle you are looking for. I'm very confident you will enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
M-b 3000

Hi Steve,

I also have a M-B 3000. Mine is in 7mm Rem. Mag w/26 inch barrel. It is my second one I bought one in 270 Win. in 1971 and boy that rifle was accurate. It accounted for my first deer, a five point buck. I moved to Colorado in early 1974 and traded it for the 7mm. It too is very accurate but he 270 had a really gorgeous piece of walnut. Anyway my rifle is stamped 3000 and has no iron sights. It has accounted for truck loads of groundhogs and truck loads of deer over the years. The action is indeed a push feed. Made by Hyem of Austria from Krupp steel (first used in Germany's Big Bertha coastal cannons during WW2) and the barrels are hammer forged. These are very serviceable rifles, look great and the hammer forged barrels will last a hunter a long time. I don't know what you intend to chamber for but I recommend Krieger cut rifled barrels. Both of my rifles have completely adjustable triggers and have never failed me. The only problem I have with them is that the magazine floor plate release is broken. As long as you leave it in the latched position it is fine. I just cycle the rounds out of the magazine like a 700 ADL. This is a fairly common problem I am told. Numrich arms has parts for this gun but are out of that latch piece. Hyem is a famous old gun maker and regardless of manufacturing techniques they are safe and strong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
saw the thred about 3000 mauser action this was the only lefthanded mauser action at the time i could find i ordered it in 1971 90% done had to finish the stock originally chambered in 270 since then it has been 300 winchester 300 weatherby and now with 300 dakota has been a tack driver with all handloaded calibers not so with weatherby factory ammo the bolt is very strong as you van see by the calibers its been through shoot gallon milk juga at 1000-1500 yards with no problem easy caliber to load and you should see what a grounghog looks like after being hit with a nosler partition at 5-600 yards just get a good barrel my last 2 have been daniel liljas with no regrets and if the inconveniece of a long barrel is no problem go for it mine is 271/2 after rechabering from the last lilja makes a 30" barrel i have a 40 power luepold but now i see they have come out with a 45x you will luv that thing in 25-06 anything ;i say anything in north america because i do all head shots not interested in trophies just the hunt have a great day just talking

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mauser 3000 Action

I found a Heym Mauser Model 2000 30-06 with 24 inch barrel, no scope, I took it home,
cleaned it throughly and test fired it at 150 yards, result was 5 shots inside of 7/8 of an inch!

I have shot this rifle out to 550 yards and put 3 shots out of 4 inside of 3 inches!

I was amazed at the quality of this rifle, and am going elk hunting near Mount Borah
in Idaho Tomorrow, I have extreme confidence in this rifle.

It has a great smooth trigger, the bolt is so smooth you swear their is no ammo in the rifle it
chambers so well, I often pull the bolt back surprised to see it actually has a round in the chamber. The rifle was made in Austria and on Barrel is says "Krupp Special". Pick up
that rifle, clean it, and try shooting the old 30-06, you can't improve on it much with a custom
barrel IMH.

Brian 'R' Gard - 4th generation Idaho shooter....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heym Mauster 2000 'Krupp Special'.

I need to eleborate on previous post, I did have installed a Bushnell Banner 3 x 9 scope
before I was testing the Heym Model 2000 - I certainly did not get those groups with
Iron Sites and 52 years old eyeballs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts