Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My brother has a 98 action that has been reworked to 22-250. Great rifle but has always had the problem of the 3rd cartridge jumping up in front of the extractor when chambering rounds fast. He wants to fix it. Other than filing down the extractor to jump over the rim, what else can be done?

Many thanks
Aaron

·
Super Moderator
13,281 Posts
That round is short enough that it might just be getting moved too far forward under the feed lips when the pressure from the follower drops low enough? You could try a stiffer follower spring? Unfortunately, truly correcting magazine length rearward, if that's the problem, will be more work than whittling on the extractor with a Dremel cut-off wheel. I would pick up a spare extractor and make sure it fits and works normally before modifying the claw of either one? Also, you might pick up a Dremel felt wheel and load it with Dico stainless steel grade buffing compound (Ace Hardwares and Harbor Freight both had it last time I looked). It does a particularly good polishing job on hardened steel, and it might be than just polishing the front of the claw would prevent it pushing the cartridge up?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
My brother has a 98 with a 243 barrel. The bullets are rather short sitting in the magazine. The guy that built it did not add a spacer to the back of the magazine to hold the bullets toward the front, so you're may have the same situtation. I only shot his once and he's never fired it since it was built so not sure if his has a feed problem.

I have a Arisaka 7.7 that I just put a 260 barrel on and it's dropping the shell out of the extractor before it gets to the ejector but it will eject longer casings just fine. I ordered another bolt to try and modifiy to add the spring loaded ejector from a Rem 700. That way it will kick the shell out as soon as it clears the opening in the receiver. If it works, I will modify the one in the rifle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all

My brother has a 98 action that has been reworked to 22-250. Great rifle but has always had the problem of the 3rd cartridge jumping up in front of the extractor when chambering rounds fast. He wants to fix it. Other than filing down the extractor to jump over the rim, what else can be done?

Many thanks
Aaron

Old thread, but worth reviving- one possible fix may be, remove the extractor claw, and CAREFULLY file the back side of the extractor claw, where it faced the bolt face, and grips the cartridge, only a tiny bit like maybe .005", or less, so instead of jumping ahead, the cartridge rim has more space to jump behind the claw and be captured, and pushed forward per design.

i.e. basically open up the space between back side of extractor claw and bolt face, so the cartridge rim can more easily fit in there when cycling the bolt quickly

don't grind too much off the extractor, otherwise it may affect extraction and ejection. If the claw isn't holding the cartridge tight enough, it may still extract, but will just barely kick the shell out of the action when it hits the ejector. This can be a real PITA on a gun without a hinged floorplate, to unload it after hunting, because every shell has to be partially fed then ejected, individually.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Could you try a follower from a Spanish FR8 or an Israeli 98 action, since they were chambered in the shorter 308 caliber ? Just a thought...... HD1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts