Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I hope I'm posting in the correct place... My grandfather recently passed and left me a Mauser which he simply labled 'German Mauser'. He had explained to me many times that he intended to leave it to me, but I guess because that discussion always involved his eventual passing I never asked much about the gun.

I took some pictures and am sharing them here in the hopes that you knowledgeable folks might take a little time to tell me more about the gun (history, modifications made, etc.) or point me to other resources. He served in WWII but in the Pacific and I really don't know where he even acquired the gun at this time. He also left ammunition and he had told my uncle that it was a wonderful gun to shoot. I hope to shoot it myself and look forward to that, but mainly I plan to display it in remembrance.

Any insight would truly be appreciated- I'm sure it is hard to just go by a few snapshots. I'm by no means knowledgeable so if there is more info or pictures that I could post just let me know. There is zero chance I'll ever sell this gun but I'd be interested in a ballpark value whatever that may be (I realize I would need to take it somewhere for an accurate assessment ). Thanks again in advance.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/brad_schoen/mauser/byf.jpg

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,225 Posts
Appears to be a standard war production M98K Mauser, 1943 mfg, but the serial numbers are hard to make out from the photos and don't appear to match. If non-matching, collector value would be low. General condition looks good as far as the photos show. You don't say what the bore or bolt face conditions are.

·
Registered
94 Posts
prices for similar guns on GunBroker are running from $450 to $900-ish. Yours probably in the middle of the range.
Keep it as is - no re-finishing or tinkering - and the collector value is still somewhat there since the bolt is the only mismatch in what you showed. That seems to be typical for surrendered rifles from the Nazis - all matching guns are bringing $1500+ and are typically guns that a GI personally took from a German soldier and managed to keep away from the red-tape brigades and get home intact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.