Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
171 Posts
Get some Romanian surplus 1970's ammo. It's a little bit dirty but good shooting.
Aim Surplus has it cheap. http://www.aimsurplus.com/
Note: This is corrosive primed ammo and must be cleaned accordingly.
Another type is 1950's Yugo surplus. It can have hard primers but I shoot it all the time in my 24/47. Sometimes you need to get a heaver firing pin spring for consistent ignition.

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
171 Posts
1940's vintage ammo is .321/.323 dia. bullets. What model of Turk do you have? Anyway most likely when the conversion was done the bore is .321/.323. The 1888 German Commision rifle is the one with the .318 bore. Unless it is marked " S " bore.
From Surplusrifle forum:
"Many of the '88 rifles were converted to the "S" bore (.323 ) and used by the Turks and several other nations when used as secondary armaments. I myself and several of my clubs members have shot hundreds of surplus 8x57 rounds out of our rifles with no signs of stress or other problems. The rifles actually shoot quite well. There are many schools of thought on the safety of these rifles using surplus ammo. If your rifle was the original .318 bore, pressures could be very dangerous.
In the .323 bore, the Turks used some of the hottest ammo loaded for the 8mm. They issued these rifles to their troops with no known problems while being used in combat or for training."

Note: You really have to slug the bore to know for sure as some "S" marked rifles still have .318 bores. Some say the "S" is not bore size but that the throat has been reamed to take the "S" bullet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.