Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,320 Posts
Turk is definitely the hottest. Fortunately the 24/47 action is plenty strong. I shot one round of Turk in mine, not realizing the bore and chamber were both extremely pitted. The extractor broke trying to get the case out of the chamber. When I finally drove it out with a steel rod, it looked like a pickle from flowing out into all the pits.

The action held fine, though.

·
38,320 Posts
You gotta dig deep to find a .318" bore. The three commission mausers I had were all .323" as they had been converted in later years. You would pretty much have to stumble across an original, never used military rifle - or a sporter that has been set up as .318" from the get-go. Considering all the wars since the bullet specs changed to .323" it is extremely unlikely. Pretty common for mausers to be built, rebuilt, and rebuilt some more.

I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm saying they are very, very uncommon.

·
38,320 Posts
Wonder if the sporting rifle manufacturers kept the .318" bore to avoid issues with the Treaty of Versailles restrictions on 8x57 production?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.