Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm in the process of lapping a bolt (1 of 3) from a 98K. Is there sucha thing as lapping the bolt lugs too much? This particular bolt has a bad spot on each lug at the very end of the lug. General concensus seems to say lap from 80 to 95% contact. I have not barreled any actions yet so it's not a problem yet but I foresee another 0.003 - 0.004 to get this current bolt finished. I'll bet I've already removed 0.003 to 0.004 already. Any one have any suggestions or thoughts?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
As long as the headspace was correct after the barrel was chambered/installed, can't see a problem with taking of anything in that range (say less than 0.010").

My opinion.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,454 Posts
I didn't think that the bolts were case-hardened, but you might shoot an email to Brownell's to be sure.

Case hardening would typically be just a few thousands thick.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Whitetail....First of all, Mauser bolts were heat treated throughout, it was the actions that had different surface treatment (also the lugs areas in the action were treated different). What is the dates on your Mauser actions, so I will know what the treatment was on the actions. Another problem you may run into, since you say they have not been barreled yet, is the possiblity of changing the alignment of the sear and the safety engagement.....James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts