Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an old custom bolt action varmint rifle built on a Model 98 Mauser action. It would be nice to know the country of origin/manufacture of the action. In other words, is it a Peruvian, Turkish, Argentine, or ????? My best guess is the rifle was built in the 1950's or 1960's, but that's only a guess.

The top of the receiver is hidden under a scope base. However, I was able to make a sketch of the proof mark on the side of the receiver. I'd like to send it to a knowledgeable military collector for ID.

Anyone out there willing to take a look? Or possibly someone can recommend a good website that has lots of Mauser proofmarks. I looked at several and couldn't find the one on this rifle.

Thanks.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,098 Posts
What's on the left side of the action? Anything? If it's polished down, look at it in strong light at an angle. Sometimes you can tell what used to be there.

A turk action would likely be too rough to be a fine sporter, but I guess it depends on how much work you put into it. Persian = czech manufacture, FYI. The most likely candidates would be german, czech, and belgian. Czeck is a "N" or "Z" in a circle, FYI. Pretty sure most south american rifles were european made.

You should be able to attach a picture to a forum post.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, later on I'll try to post a picture of a sketch I made from the receiver.

Mike, I was using those countries only as examples. I've no reason to believe it is Turkish.

There is no N or Z, and no evidence that a great deal of metal was polished off the receiver.

After I made this post yesterday, I got to thinking: the proof mark looks like a Thunderbird.

Does that help to identify the origin?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,098 Posts
I should point out that the turks reused a lot of rifles from other countries. I have czech and german mausers that were 'turked' and of course they show a bit better finish than the home-grown turks. So it is possible to see a variety of markings.....

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't answer your question completely. On the left side of the action there is this Thunderbird mark that I mentioned in my previous post, the number "4106" just behind that, a script "L" letter beneath the four-digit number, and finally the clear stamping "Mod 98" positioned on the receiver side at about the middle of the bolt body.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
You local library might have the book Gun Marks by Robert Balderson. It has most major makers proof marks in it and should be in the reference section of your local library, or one very similar.
The thunderbird, if very small, could be a waffen amt which would make it German, and is an inspector's mark.
The Germans use a lot of bird-like marks as proofs from black powder to nitro so there is a good chance what you see there is one of these markings.
Link 1
link 2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.