Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a 8mm mauser and I am trying to identify it. the serial no.on the receiver. is ea33461. It appears to be missing some parts and all serial numbers do not match. Any information wouls be appreciated. I hope to restore this rifle and need to know more about it. Pictures are available if that would help.
Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Pictures might help, mainly in terms of revealing any other marks besides a serial number that may be on the action. Your quest for informartion may be a wild goose chase. Many manufacturers have turned out Mausers in the past 110 years, some sporters and some military rifles, and many of them have been cannibalized for parts or repaired with cannibalized parts. If there are no other markings on the gun, pinning down its origin may be impossible.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
Yeah we need a picture. You can use a host like Photobucket.

Couple of questions, though - is the bolt blued? Are there any electropencil marks on the bolt? If so, that may be a russian capture that was reworked.

Lots of mausers were captured and reworked. Some were made from the start with few or no markings, like the yugo 48 BO models for export.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
It depends

Pictures would help to identify your Mauser. I can tell you that is is not an original German Mauser with a five digit serial number. The Germans often used a combination of letters (but not always) and a maximum of four digits. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts