Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle brought home a Mauser after the war (WWII) he was a Sgt in the 3rd army. It has been well used but not since its return to the US in 1945. It has been packed in grease until recently. I inherited it and have recently cleaned it. I Do not know anything about Mausers other than I know what they look like. The top of the receiver reads " Manufacture "d" armes Deletat. It does not have the caliber (mm) stamped anywhere on it, or any other stamps other than matching serial numbers. How do I indentify it?
Bill

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Bill,
Some pictures would be helpful to identify what rifle you really have. Are there any German markings on the rifle such as swastikas? The inscription ..."Manufacture "d" armes Deletat".. sounds to be French or Belgian. There are a lot of good folks here that will try to help you in this matter. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Sounds like it maybe a Belgium M1935 (Belgium Mauser 98 with those markings). Remeber the Lowlands got overran by the Germans in 1940 and the Germans were quick to put into use captured weapons. If orginal caliber could be the 7.65x53mm Mauser or converted over to 7.92x57mm (8mm Mauser). If you could post some pictures of the action and the whole rifle.

CD

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
What you have is a Model 1891 Mauser, in 7.65x53 MM. Both Belgium and Argentina used this model, and both shared the same cartridge. Commercial Ammunition is usualy marked 7.65 Argentine. The cartridge is in the same power range as the .300 Savage, and darn nice for taking anything that a .300 Savage can take. Most of the 1891's had exceptional blueing and finishes. The carbine model is one sweet woods rifle. Take that one out and shoot it it will suprise you on how smooth it operates.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Had to dig into the archive for that one. What you have is a Belgian model 89/36. In 1935 the belgians adopted a 98 Mauser patterned rifle called the model 1935. They also converted many of thier older model 1889 rifles to conform to the M-1935 as far as was practical. The barrels were shortened, and the sights, barrel bands, and wood hand guard of the M-35 used. The breech action was modified to make it conform more nearly to the M-98 design. A completely new firing mechanism of M-98 design was used, and a cylindrical piece was welded on the rear of the bolt to provide space for a new cocking cam.

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
Model 1936 Rifle

That is what you have according to "Small Arms of the World". If you reload, you can make cases from .30-06 brass by running it through a trim die or resizing die and trimming the cases. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you,
I would make a nice hunting rifle. I am still alittle confused. Is it aa 1891 or 1935. either way i reckon I should take it to a smith and see what the caliber is. Try to get some ammo.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts