Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
made a few new sets of rounds ranging in 168 gr hornady amx rounds out of some common rounds found on the board, reloader 19 in 59-61.7gr wow those 61.7's got those shells nasty dirty but def tigher trigectory but still that just way off round every once in a while 6 inches off, but then down to tight groups now down to .4-.7 groups with some .1's, but I know when i concentrete and dont messed up with the heat. Was shooting indoors heated outside in zero wind chill weather but still, got the shivers under control the gun was nasty good but still that one errant round.

so i made then the more popular imr 4350 powder at 59gr nice 1.-1.4 goups at 400 then boom a vertical stray 6 inches or so sometimes more just vertical nothing horizontal.

So I try this(this now being my biggest fear) I dial my scope dead on and mark it at 200 being zero dial 12 up I'm at 400 easy 2 hunting settings. I know not for this round but practicle shooting for me till I get out in the field to hunt.

Ok hit 400 tight group dial back down 12 and go to shoot the 200, and its 4 inches high. I shoot another, by this point its freezing but still its consitent temp and wind fairly light. dial 4 more down, target moves dow, still not close, dial three down and now its dead on at 200, shoot another its high but then boom its back down where it should be, turn it back on the dial where i marked my original 12 up spot and its 6 inches high so i think that its now my scope not holding its vertical on me its a bushnell elite 3200 7x21x40, My work has an account with bushnell so this was what was the best i could afford for a sub $400 scope and this was the best available to try.

So am I off or wrong to just return it to them or is there something wrongon the ole savage 111 accutrigger on the choate sniper stock good millet rings all measured in cheak pads set up shooting off the bags, or its it a junk barrel
its just sad to think that a company like bushnell would all this to pass thru an inspection
just very frustrated

K

·
Registered
599 Posts
Bushnell Elite Series of scopes are really good and I have two of the 4200 series and they adjust as they should and hold zero. I'm not saying it couldn't be the scope but theres lots of factors that affect accuracy and where a gun shoots. I think though that it should be repeatable on scope adjustments. I had a similar problem in a way with a Ruger Model 77 and it turned out to be a huge bedding problem and once that was fixed the gun holds zero and shot tight groups. You can always call Bushnell customer service and explain the problem and they will probably have you send in the scope and check and repair it if neccessary.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would conduct a box test at 100 yards. This should tell you if the scope is tracking correctly. If you don't know what a box test is: Shoot a round at your zero setting, then dial up a three minute of angle and shoot a round, then over three minute of angle and shoot, then down three minute of angle and shoot, then over three minute of angle and shoot. Line your crosshairs up at the same dot or spot the whole time. Repeat this until you have a 3 or 5 shot group in each position on the target. You should end up with 4 groups (one on each corner evenly spaced). This is a good test of the scopes ability to track correctly through the adjustments. You don't have to use three minutes of angle, I just used that an example you can do two or five or whatever you deem appropriate.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I would conduct a box test at 100 yards. This should tell you if the scope is tracking correctly. If you don't know what a box test is: Shoot a round at your zero setting, then dial up a three minute of angle and shoot a round, then over three minute of angle and shoot, then down three minute of angle and shoot, then over three minute of angle and shoot. Line your crosshairs up at the same dot or spot the whole time. Repeat this until you have a 3 or 5 shot group in each position on the target. You should end up with 4 groups (one on each corner evenly spaced). This is a good test of the scopes ability to track correctly through the adjustments. You don't have to use three minutes of angle, I just used that an example you can do two or five or whatever you deem appropriate.

Hey that sounds like a good test. I cranked my Zeiss up a lot, down a lot, and back to zero, did the same with the windage. Clicks were repeatable, and predictable.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Hey folks, it's about time to get some holiday spirit (year around would be nice) so deleted last two posts and hope we can continue on a more positive note. As my mom always said, "please and thank you"

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the box test is a good idea. What scares me is the up and down movement and zero was not repeatable. But wow some very tight groups with that one stray, horizontal no issues.

I did a vertical test shooting at 200 yards at the top of the paper 3 clicks down the shot was in place 3 lower, 3 more and lower very much near the same amount 3, then clicked back 6 up and I was high very high a few inches, Can the recoil of the 30-06 have anything to do with the vertical keeping of zero on a scope like this, I know they are rated for the 375 h&h rounds but the 30-06 doesn't have near that amount of recoil.

I will try the box test and report back in a few weeks, I dont like shooting at 100 yards but I will back it down to 100 and conduct some results from there, I just dont like not being able to keep a vertical zero

K

·
Registered
410 Posts

I like the idea and concept of this "box test" but I have a question; is there no backlash that needs to be taken up when going from up to down or left to right? If so this would effect the geometry of the test. Remember the old Bridgeport with hand operated x and y axis?

Maybe this was just a rumor that I had stuck in head from years ago or poor quality scopes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts