Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to blackpowder shooting and have a question about measuring powder. I recently aquired a 50 cal. inline and while I plan to do the bulk of my shooting using pellets, I would also like to have the option of using loose powder as well. I dont plan to use real deal blackpowder, rather some of the substitutes like Pyrodex or Triple 7. My question is are these powders measured by actual weight or by volumn? Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, da V.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Hello, I'm new to blackpowder shooting and have a question about measuring powder. I recently aquired a 50 cal. inline and while I plan to do the bulk of my shooting using pellets, I would also like to have the option of using loose powder as well. I dont plan to use real deal blackpowder, rather some of the substitutes like Pyrodex or Triple 7. My question is are these powders measured by actual weight or by volumn? Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, da V.
You NEED to measure by volume, measuring subs by weight WILL get you into trouble.
You will be much better off skipping the pellets & using loose powder , you can work up a more accurate load for YOUR rifle &the cost of pellets is obsurd. with loose powder you can have a hunting load & a just shooting for fun load that would use around 1/2 the powder. if you got a mold & cast your own conicals or balls you could shoot much cheaper , shoot more & have more fun,price of sabots also unreal.
For loosepowder you can get a few speedshells/ speedloaders premeasure afew & stick them in your vest or coat pocket when you are out hunting.
If you went with real BP you would get better more reliable ignition.
Both BP & subs clean up with water & a little soap, you dont need any fancy solvents , those that sell these fancy solvents want you to think that you need fancy solvents,you don't need no stinking solvents.
You can get real BP delivered right to your door , only problem is a $ 25 hazmat fee, if you went in with some friends you can split this cost up,
If you had more powder on hand you would shoot more & you & your friends would have more fun.
BP prices for GOEX per pound with shipping & hazmat fees
5# $21.35 X5 = $106.75
10# $16.90 X 10 $169.00
25# $13.60 X25 $ 340.00
For Kik powder even cheaper , more for Swiss

MAKE SOME SMOKE

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
By volume is how loose powder is measured. Also when you shoot pellets, depending on the powder, you shoot different weights as well.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/LoadsBallistics4.html

That URL might help you with some questions. I do not guarantee the accuracy of the page but I know the company well and they are straight shooters. I have measured similar loads and while my numbers are a little different, so are scales, volume measures, etc..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Runnin Lead for your thoughts and thank you cayugad for the link that you provided, ( I bookmarked it for future reference ). I would have to agree with you that the price of pellets is a little salty to say the least. Thanks again for taking the time to help a guy, da V.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts