Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What powder do you all suggest for 200-250 gr. cast bullets. I'll be working light to medium power loads for my 44 mag. 7.5" ruger super blackhawk. I am looking for a powder that METERS real well. I've been using 6-9 grains of Unique ,but I'ts pretty dirty. I use a Hornady powder measure. Thanks for your suggestions!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,730 Posts
Universal.....

·
Registered
788 Posts
Red Dot is one of my favourite powders for medium velocity loads in cartrigdes such as .44 Magnum - gets a 240 grain cast bullet up around 850 fps without a problem.

·
Banned
490 Posts
In my experience, Unique is not especially dirty; cast bullets are "dirty". The bullet lube makes for a gunky gun. Don't get me wrong, I love cast bullets, but when I used Unique with jacketed bullets it didn't seem too dirty, and every powder I have tried so far with cast bullets does.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I load for 41 magnum more than I do for 0.429. Similar in many ways though!

Powders mentioned so far get used in "light loads" here.

For "medium loads" I like Blue Dot and AA#7 (again for the 0.410 magnum).

Consider 900 to 1100 fps. to be "medium" in a magnum revolver cartridge.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
935 Posts
Maybe a better question is to ask what powders don't work well for medium loads. Depending just exactly what you are doing, anything from Bullseye to Blue Dot will work. It depends on just what velocity you are looking for. Generally, anything in the burning range of Unique is near ideal. There is a lot of reloading data available for many powders also.

Different powder measures will have different preferences for easy/accurate powder throwing. My personal experience is with WW231, AA2, AA5, Blue Dot and Power Pistol. They all throw well for me.

Good luck. Be cautious and careful. Lot's of guys have 44mag reloads that throw a nominal 240gr bullet at 800-1000 fps with great results.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Red Dot, Unique...I shoot Trail Boss up to 950fps, it's the cast bullets that are dirty. 9.5gr. Unique and a 250gr. WFNGC makes big holes in whitetails up to 60yrds.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I use 2400 for my mid range 44 Mags loads.

Jerry

·
Registered
327 Posts
For medium loads in 44 Mag, I have had pretty good success using moderate amounts of HS-6, which is also good for reduced load cast bullet fun in 30/30 and 30/06.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
What powder do you all suggest for 200-250 gr. cast bullets. I'll be working light to medium power loads for my 44 mag. 7.5" ruger super blackhawk. I am looking for a powder that METERS real well.
Powders burn cleaner as loads ramp up.

Unique is very good for medium loads in most handgun cartridges. I prefer Herco, which is a bit denser, and has a better pressure to velocity ratio.

Meters well? If anything meters better than a ball powder, I haven't found it in the last 45 years. W-231 comes to mind. It also burns very clean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the question!

New guy here....came looking for the same thing as Bushrod asked! Lucky me huh?

I was perusing powders today and thought that W231 was looking pretty desirable for the same reasons...moderate pressures for moderate loads. The start to max range seems to be right where I need it to be, it apparently meters well in with a powder measure, and it burns clean. What's left to ask for (oh, maybe that it's free I guess...).

Thanks for a really successful first trip to the Shooter's Forum!

Mitch

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've found that 8 grains of WW231 with a 240 gr. SWC in my .44 Mag produces 900 - 950 fps and excellent accuracy.
That's my favorite "do-all" load! Gives me about 1,000fps out of my 5.5" Ruger.

WildBobby is right, some of the gunk left over from Unique is from bullet lube but W-231 will burn cleaner still, even with cast bullets.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I went back and checked my chronograph results. Out of my 8 3/8 S&W 629, all with a 240 gr. SWC and large pistol primer, I found the following averages:

7 gr WW231: 800 - 819 fps
8 gr WW231: 955 - 977 fps
9 gr WW231: 1122 fps

The 8 gr load gave me the best accuracy, and is a very comfortable target load.

As usual, these are my results. Use at your own risk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went back and checked my chronograph results. Out of my 8 3/8 S&W 629, all with a 240 gr. SWC and large pistol primer, I found the following averages:

7 gr WW231: 800 - 819 fps
8 gr WW231: 955 - 977 fps
9 gr WW231: 1122 fps

The 8 gr load gave me the best accuracy, and is a very comfortable target load.

As usual, these are my results. Use at your own risk.
Looks like around 8.5 grains would be hitting 1100 fps pretty close. I am using a 7.5" Blackhawk, so my results would be slightly slower, so I might end up a bit closer to 9 grains.

I will be using this for hunting and using 240 gr. XTP's so we'll see how it all shakes out in the end. Thanks for looking up the WW231 information though. I am really leaning toward that powder at this point. Seems really versatile.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I also load for the .41 magnum. It's my favorite handgun cartridge. I use a lot of Universal. It works great, burns clean, meters well, and most of my loads are made using it. My everyday load is 7.2 grains of Universal with a 210 grain cast LSWC. This load gives very good accuracy out of my 6.5" Ruger New Model Blackhawk. According to my chronograph it averages 1050 fps. That's what I'd consider a medium load. ;)

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have been thinking a lot about loading up a few hundred rounds of 44 Mags. I am thinking about using Blue Dot for some and 2400 for some others. I don't like my 44 Mags to be way too hot, in fact a medium load works very well for me.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 35 Posts