Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started the 1894 on a strict diet of lead now since I did not get it ready last year before hunting season. Today was it's first real lead day. A .432 - 240 gr. over 13 gr of Blue Dot . The groups are not what I want but the main concern is the difference from the first cool barrel shot to the last of a six string. At 100 yds it was not even funny so I moved to 50 yds to do some work. I did close the quick fire group up a bit by loosening the barrel band screw. I will have to play with it more. The warm barrel groups are good but that first shot is usually the one that counts.

I did shoot one of these WFN Mid-Kansas hard cast through 4 milk jugs from 10 yds. No bullet recovery. There was no sign that it slowed down at all. I'll save up some more jugs and try from 25yds.

Anyone had any luck at getting the first round cnad the last of a six string to tighten up?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I had a thought, even though the board is slow right now, I am in range mode.

The XTPs did not show the big difference with a warm barrel like the 240 gr WFN does. This bullet is a .432 diameter bullet because that is what I have for my 44 SBH. Would the smaller diameter bullet possibly give better warm barrel groups. I have not cleaned the leaver yet but the leading just from looking down the barrel after about 25 rounds was not bad and there were no real trouble spots either. This barrel smoothed up real good with the break in I gave it and it looks like the bore is consistant.

If the thing is all in the barrel band and the magazine tube I don't want to pull out the tech guide and start messing with the barrel now. I don't have time. I will give it a good inspection and cleaning now to see if that reveals any problems but I just don't think so.

Oh! The Ashley works great. The cold barrel round will get in and 8 inch circle at 80 yds, off hand pretty consistantly. If I can get to a tree or other brace Mr. and Mrs. Whitetail better not linger too long or this 240 gr. will put a hole in a vital place.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to get some range time this weekend and I need the advice. Are you guys going to let me go out on my own, to figure this out.

I need to do more other hunting related work than load work but fun will win out. The house repair may have to wait.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Chief RID,
As great as cast bullets are, they are more susceptible to point of impact variation, from a warm barrel, than jacketed ones. This is because a jacketed bullet is 3 times harder , than the hardest of cast bullets. I would suggest groups of no more than 3, when trying for that record group. I've spoken to Marshall about this over the years, and he stated he actually waits 1 minute between shots, for his bragging groups ! As you stated, the first shot from a cold barrel is the most important one. Hope this helps.
Jeff

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,453 Posts
Chief, wish I could help, but my .35 Rem does not have this malady with cast bullets.

Clean the barrel within an inch of it's life, and consider a few lapping rounds.

Good luck, when you get this figured out, you'll be the expert!!!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just messed with cool barrel groups this weekend and they were good at 50 yds. Not the cloverleaf groups I got with the jacketed bullets but more than acceptable for hunting. The warm barrel rounds are still off too far. I did not try to adjust anything because I wanted to try some rounds in the SBH. Could not tell that the .432 shot any more accurate than the .430 hard cast I had been shooting. Did not get to try the plinking load with the soft swagged bullet. It will be next.

Man, this is fun but I sure need to pick the bow up soon.

Cast in blast, I had never heard that before that I remember. I had had such good early success with lead I guess I was unprepared for the tweeking I would have to do with lead. I'm going to pull out the tech guide tonight and see what I can glen from it.

Mike, Thanks for the encouragement as always. I'll keep at it until my time runs out. I'll keep ya posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts