Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to fabricate a new extractor part for a Llama .45 auto (1911 lookalike). I bought it new in about 1970 (at least 40 years old). The hook at the end of the extractor arm broke off (can't eject fired casings).

Found one on the internet, but it turned out to be bent, and a couple of molded points filed off. Haven't been able to locate another, and not sure I want to try since all the parts will be used anyway, and likely not in good condition. I can get a credit for the one I received, but they have no more, and these parts aren't made anymore, plus, the manufacturer changed the type of extractor sometime after mine was made, so mine is really old.

I've modified the one I bought to probably work, at least for a while, but haven't test fired it yet. Even if it works, with the molded-points filed off, I think the shaft will slowly bend anyway. The molded-points were present to stabilize the thin-flat extractor arm as it flexed back when the slide moved forward and set the extractor hook over the case rim. Now, without the molded-points, the extractor arm will slowly bend away from the bolt and eventually not have sufficient tension to engage the casing rim.

Since the rest of the gun is in good condition, I intend to fabricate a new part. The steel used should probably have some spring capabilities, but the original part didn't rely on high quality steel to do that; the metal appearance where the extractor hook broke off indicates modest quality (grayish and obvious less than quality original steel, but magnetic). My initial thought is to start with probably a good steel welding rod (maybe not a good idea, but that's my initial though), and fabricate from there.

Just so you have an idea of the mechanism. The extractor is a long internal shaft. It is held in-place, along with the firing pin, by a single vertial friction pin that slides 1/2 way through the extractor shaft, and 1/2 way into the firing pin opening. The entire part is 2.718 in. long, with 1-7/8s a flat shaft that was either cut down or molded that way, with the remainder round. The flat shaft has two molded points, on one side, of slightly less height than the distance to the original diameter, and one point, on the other side, of the same height. I see these points as both spacers for the 1-7/8s in. flat shaft to provide some rigidity to prevent bending of the flat shaft, while providing some open space to allow the shaft to flex sufficiently to receive the casing rim, and of sufficient spring to firmly hold the extract against the rim during ejection.

Any recommendations as to the type of steel I should use?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,951 Posts
Understanding that there is everything under the sun... Aren't Llama's just pattern 1911's?? If so, why not call Wilson Combat and get a drop in extractor?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,101 Posts
Might try making one out of drill rod, but don't harden it? That is usually pretty decent steel, and will machine OK.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darkker,
I wrote Wilson Combat and await their comment. I'm optimistic too because on one of their framed visuals, showing parts, right on the visual was what appears to be the exact part I need. Not so naive that the dimensions might very well be different, but we'll see. It never occurred to me to look at new stuff because Llama changed from the part I now have to a side insert type, so I figured that all the later stuff was probably the same evolution. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I've sent him an e-mail. He does have a Llama .45 cal. extractor on his store front, but it is the new style, flat side-mount, spring controlled type. Totally different than the original internal extractor. Only two Llama parts listed on the store front, but maybe he has other stuff not listed yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.